Steel toe caps

Dr Marten boots have been cruddy ever since they started making them in Asia some years back. What was once a bloomin good buy, expensive but lasted years, comfy from the offset are now uncomfortable, leak water, don't last and stupidly pricey.
Yeah, I agree with that. I used to wear them all the time for work and would get through a couple of pairs a year. I stopped buying them when they started getting to £130 a pair. Ok, these new ones were £150 but I liked the colour, the stitching and the sole was a special winter sole which looked better than the standard air soles.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I agree with that. I used to wear them all the time for work and would get through a couple of pairs a year. I stopped buying them when they started getting to £130 a pair. Ok, these new ones were £150 but I liked the colour, the stitching and the sole was a special winter sole which looked better than the standard air soles.

When I say I pay a bit for boots. Im talking just over the 100 or less maybe. DMs have the fashion factor... They would have to be really good for me to pay that much

They make great food but thier boots..... Are well.... Taste like tough old boots.
Of course they're perfectly capable of making a bloody good boot. It's Doc Martens fault for cutting costs, corners and good materials. My last pair some years back leaked first time I walked through grass, when I wrote to them I was informed that their boots are not waterproof in the slightest. They replied they offer no such promise, instead inviting me to spend a further £8 on dubbin! £160 quid down the swanny. So they sell boots that are just for summer, hmm!

Of course they're perfectly capable of making a bloody good boot. It's Doc Martens fault for cutting costs, corners and good materials. My last pair some years back leaked first time I walked through grass, when I wrote to them I was informed that their boots are not waterproof in the slightest. They replied they offer no such promise, instead inviting me to spend a further £8 on dubbin! £160 quid down the swanny. So they sell boots that are just for summer, hmm!

I had a job in Kilburn 2016.
The basement was flooded this where we kept our stores and office. It was under 2 to 3 inches of water.
I had just purchased my Cofra boots. My feet were bone dry. Most other were complain of wet feet...

With this as well as comfort and how lite these boots were I honestly swear by them...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
The OP should try composite ones. I find there’s a lot more wiggle room in the toe area. I bought a pair of these a few weeks ago. Very light and comfortable. https://www.diy.com/departments/site-magma-safety-boots-size-9/5052931864836_BQ.prd

I also bought these which are not steel toe cap and they are a bit pinchy so need breaking in. Not cheap so you don’t always get comfort when you spend a few bob. Caught again! https://www.soletrader.co.uk/dr-martens-2976-boots/2976snco/
how do you break in steel toecaps? surely if that would mean the boots have failed?

Buy quality boots and there's no breaking in required...they also double up as walking boots.
Make sure you get steel plates in the soles...nothing worse than walking on a hidden roofing batten (with nails) that lazy roofers have left around.
Plumbers need maximum protection...ever dropped a Netaheat on your foot.

Totectors do some good boots. I'd say as a sparky you'd be better off with a shoe or trainer type. kneeling down a lot more than i do in my job wear we have to wear the boot to protect the ankle. Saying that it all depends on the site you go on too.

Nor can I but I don't wear steel toe caps or wear cheap boots anymore. But know from experience some footwear needs wearing in and getting used to.
Sorry thought the thread was about steel toe cap boots.

Sponsored Links
Back