Steel work Measurements?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a simple question, I'm having some steel work installed as part of an extension, the structural engineer has been in and done calculations and given pictures of graphs scales etc showing this that and the other. Now he has specified in his drawings the size of the steel 254x254x89 and Column 203x203x46uc to hold it up and how its to be put together. Now who measures the lengths etc and heights of it all?Is this the builder?

Sponsored Links
The SE must have already done that in order to do the calculations. If he's given you his drawings and calcs then the spans and dimensions should be apparent?

It will probably say not to order the steels based on the drawings. I think ours did so I measured lengths myself.

The builder should measure the width on site and order to the site measurements. If the span is significantly differetnt to what the engineer used in his calcualtion, then the SE should be advised.

The steel beam should go in in accordance with the designer's design or again where the SE specified. The builder will need to allow for the column height from concrete pad or below ground up to where the beam will sit.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replys just read through all 7 Pages info from the structural engineer and after looking at so many numbers and bits. I have found lengths but as some of you have mentioned above they are rough measurements. Upon speaking to the SE(have been awaiting his reply hence posting) he has reassured me the builder will need to confirm measurements before ordering then communicate with him.

In the cases where I've used steel I tend to buy it 100mm too long to give me some flexibility, especially when other steels might bolt in mid-span and then you can fine-tune the positions. Your builder will deal with all that though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back