Steel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it acceptable to weld the steel going into a building together rather than it being bolted as per Technical drawings?

Sponsored Links
You cannot alter what has been approved without permission.

So The Building Inspector will pick up on this? I will be shocked if he does as so far not spent more than about 2 mins at any inspection and comes dressed for an opera.
So I guess my Question is, Is Welding as good, worse or better than bolting.

That depends how good YOUR welding is. How will you NDT the weld to know it is not cracked? How will you know there is sufficient penetration? Normally a coded welder would do this sort of structural work.

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
When I looked at joining a steel beam there look to be 2 ways.

1 with plates and 1 with ends welded on. What's the difference?

I doubt many SEs would recommend site welding, it would be a last resort if there were no other reasonable solution. It's much harder to do up a bolt wrongly than weld wrongly.

Why are car chassis welded and not bolted together ? Because it is stronger simple as that.

Car bodies (not chassis - they went out long ago) are welded because it is a mass-produce, cheap, automated process.
Site-welding of steel sections is not recommended because of the safety issue, and also it is not as reliable as shop welding.
Correctly designed bolted connections are best for site work.

What safety issues do you mean ? Cheers
The chief safety problem for site welding (in a domestic context) is fire. Beams are often inserted within - or just below- floors and ceilings
where you find accumulations of dust, shavings, cobwebs etc, with the obvious risk with the high temeratures involved.
Admittedy you can say the same about plumbing work, but that usually involves small fittings with relatively low heat and for a short length of time. Welding needs much higher, sustained temperatures and is a serious risk.
I'm not saying site welding is sometimes not necessary, but it is not the preferred way.

So is a Building inspector going to be happy? If he lets it go is that good enough?

As long as the technical drawing are changed to show a weld and it's done by a certified welder then BC have to be.

So I guess i need to point this out to him as I know he will not check it. No Idea why I pay the fees the Council charge, maybe to pay for his suit and polished black shoes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back