Steel

No Idea why I pay the fees the Council charge, maybe to pay for his suit and polished black shoes
The same reason that when you pay four quid for a pint of beer that it's not necessarily all going towards the barman's' apron and chatty demeanor.

Sponsored Links
The same reason that when you pay four quid for a pint of beer that it's not necessarily all going towards the barman's' apron and chatty demeanor.
If I spill my beer replacing it costs 4 quid, my house slightly more. If you are not going to check the plans are being followed don't insist on me having any or charging me to check they are followed. So long as Welding is OK i'm fine with it, but if not, I need the building inspector with his years of knowledge to pick up on it. I need to know my family are safe in the house being built. A little knowledge ( mine) is dangerous so not really something I can say NO bolt it don't weld it. More than one way to skin a cat. But the feedback here certainly gives me some guidance. It could be the Builder is taking a short cut, or just doing it in his prefered way I really don't know. All I do know the plans don't specify this method.

Last edited:
Really if you want that level of checking you'll have to pay someone more than the labc fee. There's no contract with building control and no guarantee they'll spot things on their limitless visits.
I spotted most of the problems on our build that were visible at the end of the day and went back to the se and architect. I've hardly seen building control they couldn't possibly check everything properly.

In construction there are umpteen different ways of achieving most things, and whether any one method is 'right' will often depending on what other choices have been made. The complexity of monitoring whether the entire job is correct is huge.

You have an understandable viewpoint though, Whyme - solicitors and EA's all view a LABC sign-off as a quality gold-standard rubber stamp, and this view has trickled in to the minds of buyers too.

In my limited experience the less time BC are on site the better. You end up fencing with their preferences, rather than what's right/wrong.

Sponsored Links
You have an understandable viewpoint though, Whyme - solicitors and EA's all view a LABC sign-off as a quality gold-standard rubber stamp, and this view has trickled in to the minds of buyers too.

In my limited experience the less time BC are on site the better. You end up fencing with their preferences, rather than what's right/wrong.
Well this is the point really, one body sees BC sign off as being done to a standard, but given their limited time on site it really isn't.

If you have building regulation drawing, they will have looked at them and approved them.
It's then down to the client to make sure the drawings are followed.
You forget that a bco has been to many sites and will know a good/bad one within seconds. They can't quality control everything as what happens if they pass something and then it gets changed?
However I do agree it's a lot of money for very little.

So I guess i need to point this out to him as I know he will not check it. No Idea why I pay the fees the Council charge, maybe to pay for his suit and polished black shoes
...and their annual Christmas party............!

You forget that a bco has been to many sites and will know a good/bad one within seconds.

Exactly. The process reminds me of car MoTs... they know a shonky builder/site by sixth sense. The fact that you're actually engaging with the process and inviting an inspection is probably 80% of battle in their eyes.

The thing is in My eyes some of the work is not OK, but I am no expert so rely on The Builder or inspector. I can't really say something is wrong as I only have limited knowledge on certain things.

The thing is in My eyes some of the work is not OK, but I am no expert so rely on The Builder or inspector. I can't really say something is wrong as I only have limited knowledge on certain things.

You really need to be able to trust your builder.
BCO checks are not a substitute for having a trustworthy competent builder.

You should ask them why they've welded it rather than bolting.
Unless they've got a very good excuse, fire them.

Is it acceptable to weld the steel going into a building together rather than it being bolted as per Technical drawings?
It could be, but i'd want to know why its being welded rather than bolted if the drawings say bolt.

It will be much more expensive to get a coded welder to site with welding plant etc that put a few bolts through a steel.

We have just completed a jointed steel jobby and are plastering it up as we speak.

Whilst the beam to beam connection was bolted, the steel suppliers' fabricators had to shape the one beam end and weld a plate to the end of it. Our inspector acutally got onto a hop up and looked at the fillet welds!

Here is the drawing I did for the steel fabbys....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back