Stelrad Concord W boiler leaking water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Stelrad Concord W boiler, it is old I know, but I would like to find out if it can be fixed. I have absolutely no money, so replacing it is not an option.

I have tried to do without any central heating, although mild, the house is feeling rather damp.

Your thoughts please.

Many thanks

Kaz

Sponsored Links
When starting the boiler up within 10 seconds, water starts to leak from the top seam of the heat exchanger, there appears to be no visible cracks in the heat exchanger. The water seems to be coming from the seam.

Is this is enough information

Many thanks xx

I'm afraid the hex is no longer available so requires a new boiler.
It is 30yr old to be fair.

Sponsored Links
If it is the model I am thinking of then its quite a lot of work replacing the seal between sections.

I would rarely expect it would be worth it on such an old boiler which is so inefficient.

Very few engineers are likely to be willing to replace the seals. If I was going to do on then I would be quoting about £180.

If you really have no money and no heating then there are several schemes to replace boilers with subsidised or free new boilers. Only problem they give you what they want to and usually a pretty basic budget boiler.

Tony

Thanks - I know it is inefficient, but I have just left a very stressful job and I am starting a new business, so no money in the pot as yet. I have looked at a grant, but don't quiet meet the criteria.

I have been without central heating now since early December, so maybe I can sit it out till I can save up for a new one :(

If you're on certain benefits or tax credits and earn less than £16k a year you should qualify for a free boiler

I have filled in online quotes for grants and cant seem to get one - I am much less than £16k :(

I normally hate the stuff and wouldn't reccommend it, but in a time of absolute desperation a can of this might just get you out of the cacky if you really can't afford to do anything else

15 min to drain, 45 min to replace seals at Gas Wizard's speed, and 20 minutes to refill and bleed.

Total about 1 hour 20 minutes.

So he certainly charges a high hourly rate! In fact he should be very rich indeed if he can get many of those jobs.

But when I quote £180, that is an inclusive price and has to cover all the problems that I may encounter in doing the job.

For those who don't do heating work do I really have to list a few of the pitfalls?

The reality, in my world, is that kind of job usually takes me about five hours taking into account the average few usual problems to be solved.

Tony

I normally hate the stuff and wouldn't reccommend it, but in a time of absolute desperation a can of this might just get you out of the cacky if you really can't afford to do anything else

I remember at out last house we had this put in our system... thanks!!!!! :) it could tide me over till I can save up for a new boiler ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back