Stelrad Group - Ideal Mexico Super CF55 - Venting Problem -

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Long shot, hope someone can help.

We have just rented a flat with the above old 55K BTU boiler sited in the kitchen, I'm a little worried about it's venting, smells etc and hope someone can help.

Boiler is not enclosed, the kitchen is about 4m x 2m, and has a wooden door to the outside. The boiler is located on the inside wall and the flue via asbestos pipe goes up the chimney. In compliance the agents service the boiler once a year (I have seen cert) using their own engineer. There is also an aging gas oven in the area.

1. On ignition the boiler emits odour for about 30 secs, smells like emission rather than gas.

2. The only vent in the kitchen is a closeable circular 6" plastic vent embedded in the glass window pane, recently cleaned and reinstalled by agents fixer. It's of the type I have not seen for years, 2 pull cords to open and close, small manual fan on outside, if wind blows hard it turns!

The kitchen joins the 4M x 4M dining room, no vents. Each other living space has a similar plastic vent in one window. (Previous gas appliances removed in these areas).

My worry is yesterday my wife spent all day in the dining room, kitchen door open, heating on. At about 6pm she started complaining about headache, dizzyness and feeling sick, I had to lead her around in case she fell over.

I'm off to get co alarm today, but can anyone advise me? Agent is not really worried - he has his cert.

Many thanks,

Neil.

Sponsored Links
I'm off to get co alarm today, but can anyone advise me? Agent is not really worried - he has his cert.

tell him to shove his dodgy cert provided by a pet monkey

you should have permanent ventilation for the appliance

that means you can't open and close it

so his cert ain't worth jack

and this does not exactly inspire confidence in the so called "service" that was supposedly carried out

exactley what kev said on this one. this O/F boiler needs checking if your smelling " fumes ". If your worried which i would be id get onto your agent and if he/she are been funny tell them your calling gas safe and just call transco say u can smell gas from the boiler and they'll come n cap it off as no perm ventilation will cat it as a At Risk situation. Also with regards to the cert u saw u should have a copy as a paying tenant. I wouldnt use the appliance n shut off the pilot light. hope u get it sorted

Nathan

And remember you can always phone Gassafe and the HSE, and lay it on thick.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back