Stelrad Ideal Turbo II boiler's burner won't fire up

bsm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got no heating or hot water because burner on boiler wont fire up. The power light comes on but the burner won't fire up. Have had the problem for a few weeks and if we turn the boiler off overnight and re-turn it on in the morning then sometimes it's OK. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Got no heating or hot water because burner on boiler wont fire up. The power light comes on but the burner won't fire up. Have had the problem for a few weeks and if we turn the boiler off overnight and re-turn it on in the morning then sometimes it's OK. Any ideas?

Hi, Yes I have had and have just had this problem again!!
The reason is that there are 2 small 'bellows' which should inflate then trigger a micro-switch which ignites the burner, this is the little click you hear before the whoosh sound of the burner.
The problem is that these small 'bellows' after time become less resposive and stick in the closed postion, thus not triggering the switch!
There is an Allen Screw 'adjustment' you can turn that seems to free up the bellows and this cures the problem..
Hope this is of some help.

• Thanks
Reactions: bsm
Thank Charles. Could you please explain where the allaen key adjustment is? where are the bellows located?

cheers for the help!

Fiddling with safety devices when you don't know what you're doing is showing very poor judgement putting it mildly.Get it checked by a RGI.

Sponsored Links
Charles, that is a safety device which controls combustion of the gas and even to access it the combustion chamber usually has to be opened to get to it.

We dont give advice on DIY gas work here and the obvious advice is to call an engineer.

Tony

some manufacturers dont even trust engineers to adjust a zero governor valve safely let alone a householder! That will be a very short hse investigation should it all go wrong.
whats disturbing, is im only guessing he's talking about the gas valve from the description, as the description of "how it works" is a best a poor guess.

I'd like to clarify that my boiler was checked by a qualified gas service engineeer!! the reason I know what the problem was is because I watched what he did and he explained the cause of the problem.
I did not do this myself!!!!

but anyway thank you for everyones concerns regarding safety.

In answer once again to the original question,..your boiler is not igniting due to the non inflation of two bellows, when inflated these 'bellows' trigger a micro switch. It was suggested to me by the qualified service engineer that over time these ''bellows'' become less responsive and as a result stay in the de-flated position.

Charles - thanks again, and thanks to everyone else for taking such an interest in making sure I didn't cause myself any further probs!..

as it happens, from looking at the boiler manual, I can clearly see the 'bellows' that Charles is referring to.... I'll get an engineer in with a view of getting these adjusted/changed.

Cheers again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back