Stelrad Ideal W2000 "Boiling over??"

Sponsored Links
Flushing it with chemicals won't touch a blocked cold feed, it'll need cutting out. Do you know where it is and what to look for?

Tried the magnet trick nothing came of it. Had already started flushing with x400. Also adjusted the ball valve arm to make header tank water depth deeper (read somewhere it should be 100mm???)

One wonders why you chose to put X400 in your system.

X800 is more powerful and works within a few hours.

Tony

Flushing it with chemicals won't touch a blocked cold feed, it'll need cutting out. Do you know where it is and what to look for?

Tried the magnet trick nothing came of it. Had already started flushing with x400. Also adjusted the ball valve arm to make header tank water depth deeper (read somewhere it should be 100mm???)

One wonders why you chose to put X400 in your system.

X800 is more powerful and works within a few hours.

Tony
Supplier hadn't got any in stock ;)

Sponsored Links
Taking everything into consideration I think the boiler stat is faulty. I think boilerman2 mentioned this in your first response but we've got a little side-tracked :D

Also, where your cold feed/vent tee into the system (just below the Y-plan valve) is wrong. UNLESS your pump is pumping down and not up. Have a look at the pump and see which direction it's pointing, there'll be an arrow on the body.

I think its boiler stat too. Best DIY test is to turn the boiler stat down to close to its minimum setting without turning it off and seeing if it does turn off the burner eventually. If it doesn't and you get nasty boiling noises again...its the stat.

X400 not strong enough? Hmmm. On about my third ever private job I put some X400 in a W2000.........and it took out the heat exchanger in two days, and it was only because the house owner was related to someone at the builders merchants who had sold me the X400 that they did take actions against me.

I was actually trying to save them money as they suspected they needed a power flush but were not well off, so I said, lets try X400, it won't do any harm....ha ha ha!

Alfredo

.....where your cold feed/vent tee into the system (just below the Y-plan valve) is wrong. UNLESS your pump is pumping down and not up. Have a look at the pump and see which direction it's pointing, there'll be an arrow on the body.

Where should it be then? This was an instalation done by a 'reputable' company, supposedly.

I need to move the tumble dryer and grovel around a bit to see the pump. That can wait till tomorrow methinks. ( It's in the kitchen below the boiler. )

Thanks everyone for your help, It's looking more and more like I might need to get someone in :cry: More F@****; expense I guess.

The pump should pull on that feed not push against it. I take it the pump isn't just below the Y-plan valve then?

If your system is correct then the arrow on the pump should point away from the Y-plan valve. Meaning the plan is on the return. Which is ok :) If the arrow points towards the valve it's wrong i.e. the cold feed is in the wrong place.

It's an RGI's job to change the boiler stat i'm affraid, it's within the combustion chamber and with a boiler like that the case seal will need properly checking/testing when the case is refitted.

First rule of Faultfinding Start with the simple & obvious first, after ruling these out then get all technical!! ;)

Thanks for all the help offered here folks

I know a guy who I can call on so it looks like him. I know the burner assembly has to come out to replace the capillary and the thermocouple for the pilot (will get that changed while he's at it) Haven't been able to check direction of pump yet but it's been like it for 20 odd years - that's not to say it was correct in the first place - the people who installed it were a large midlands company so should be top notch but I have my doubts about them but where's the redress 20 years on? Won't name them here for legal reasons :)

The pump kicked in on the timer for the HW only this morning and right on schedule, 40 mins later the rushing (boiling over?) noise was heard. The cylinder stat was set to around 55C (not 60-65 as advised) and the boiler control set to 1 on the knob, I usually have it set to around 3 in summer and 4-5 in winter.

Thanks once again, I'll keep you posted.

I wouldn't worry too much about the pump direction especially if it's been ok for so long. It's probably just that the plan is on the return. Any plumber that looks should be able to tell you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back