Stepped cracks in mortar above windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’m interested in buying a house but worried about subsidence. There’s stepped cracks above the windows. I’ve uploaded some photos and was hoping someone could advise me before having to payout for a structural engineer. I’ve read that it could be wall ties or subsidence. I also noticed that the 1st row of roof tiles seemed to have dropped.
60B446AF-46FD-4257-9D5C-0FA47AAF6D0D.jpeg
9A11A676-5F19-4C4B-9BE5-8017051B65E4.jpeg
AA5FF964-0DAF-4182-88BF-CDB953252FB5.jpeg
424A1D84-03EA-4519-9108-064D773EA1DE.jpeg
Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
The cracking over the bay is due to slight movement or decay in the timber lintel which will be behind the flashing. The cracks over the other windows are due to the old, substantial timber frames being replaced by pvc, with no outer-skin lintel being added.
The mess at the eaves is due to the re-roofing not being undertaken by a proper roofer.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Tony. When I asked the owner about the cracks her reply was I’ve had the lintels checked and they’re fine!

Is there a side extension? The second picture doesn't appear to have an external lintel going off where the soldier course finishes however the last picture without soldiers works in correctly for there to be a lintel this looks newer though thus thinking it's an extension.

Sponsored Links
Yes the left side was the garage and they extended the house in 2009 which is the last picture. The 2nd picture is part of the original house.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Tony. When I asked the owner about the cracks her reply was I’ve had the lintels checked and they’re fine!

On the second pic down, where the bricks are 'upright' over the window, (aka 'soldiers') there is no lintel on the outer skin.

Would we need to have a lintel put in and replace the one over the bay? If so any idea how much this would cost?

Just a tip here- don't believe a word the current owners might tell you about the state of the place. They want to sell it so they will gloss over any defects.

OK Prove it where is the paperwork?

Ken
Wouldn't trust that either- unless it was from a real surveyor whose existence and the survey results could be verified (by your solicitor). Even then, most surveys have that getout about being for the use of named person, no liability if anyone else acts on its content

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back