Steps, hand rail needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Quick Question about handrails, we have differing opinion between builder and carpenter, either is not a problem but building inspector is away until a weeks time and doing some work during that time.

The extension has a porch that then leads up to a lounge area, this has steps, ground level, then step one, step two then up into the lounge, they are 900 wide. Builders saying this is classed as two steps, carpenter says three. Logic says three steps but then I can also see where the builder is coming from as there are just two actual steps!

Any opinions appreciated

Sponsored Links
I recall that once the height difference exceeds 600mm a handrail is required. The number of steps irrelevant.

This is possibly where the confusion is, but for reading a number of buildings regs can't see a note re height only number of steps.

For reference height from floor to floor is 590 mm, width is 900 mm

Sponsored Links
Thanks freddiemercurystwin

Appreciate the page details, i can now show them both! Wonder where they are getting this 2/3 steps things from!

Because I haven't worked in Wales, I'm not sure what an 'excepted energy building' is. That's all.

The fact that his name is 'Welshcottage' could possibly suggest that the question might be relevant to Wales, and the regs might differ from those in England.

definitely 3 steps to settle the argument, but as Freddie has pointed out height is the relevant criteria

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back