Stick welding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to weld a plate about 400mm x 150mm x 10mm onto a 152mm universal column on its flanges thereby closing off the gap, in order to strengthen an existing weld. The plate will straddle over the existing joint/weld.

Please see photo.

As can be seen, two of the welds are vertical. I am not a welder and my stick shakes like crazy (even if I cut it in half), and also the molten metal wants to run down rather than sideways into the joint. It does not matter if I try from the bottom or from the top.

Could anyone please advise me how best to do this?

Attachments

• 20220224_144155_s.jpg
    20220224_144155_s.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 69
Sponsored Links
Find local mobile welder might be your best bet. Looking at that it needs to be a good job and safe.

Maybe ask your engineer if you can bolt a plate or two on instead?

Sponsored Links
if only it was possible to turn the building on it's side........!
If you are going to give it a bash, you'll need 130 amps at a guess and preferably 4mm rods.
Clamping the plate heavily in place;
Grind on a 'prep' where the weld is to go
Work from down to up in a series of centimetre tacks, and grind away any spatter and slag as you go.
John :)

As a sometime welder ( was ticketed to asme 1X G6R) best advice is as above get a qualified welder in.
Also you will never make much of welding down hill with normal rods.
Really needs celuluse coated rods very quick technique in skilled hands.

Maybe ask your engineer if you can bolt a plate or two on instead?
That is exactly what I was thinking I should do, bolt the same plate rather than welding it.

So I have tried to weld it, it was a nightmare, the horizontal top seam was OK, but the vertical was a disaster.

Not sure if I can even take it off! I would have to use the angle grinder to cut the welds off.

As a sometime welder ( was ticketed to asme 1X G6R) best advice is as above get a qualified welder in.
Also you will never make much of welding down hill with normal rods.
Really needs celuluse coated rods very quick technique in skilled hands.
If you are going to give it a bash, you'll need 130 amps at a guess and preferably 4mm rods.
I think I was at about 80 amps. I had a molten blob, but it was running down rather than into the seam.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back