sticking a large mirror to my bathroom wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi :D

i have a mirror 3foot by 7foot and want to stick it to a wall in my bathroom. the wall is plasterboard (i think) thats been painted and is completely flat. would no more nails be sufficient to do this or do i need another adhesive?

cheers

K :D

Sponsored Links
i would never stick a mirror to a wall.

waht if the "glue" were to discolour it, you can not take it down. why not use mirror screws (if it has holes), or build a frame for it, and screw that to the wall

a mate of mine stuck stainless steel sheets around his cooker with no nails and once it dryed there was dints everywhere he had used the nonails, like it had sucked it in. so it might have the same effect on the mirror either cracking it or taking the back off.

use mirror adhesive or as breezer says get the mirror drilled and fix with mirror screws

Sponsored Links
yes but what happens if you want to change it (bearing in mind its a plaster board wall, chances are wall will come away)

Use a mirror fixing kit (many types available for drilled and none drilled mirrors) available from mirror shops; strange that, init !

Double backed foam tape WILL WORK, should you ever want to remove it, you can use flat (steel rule ) metal to break the foam. IT WORKS it will also take away unevenness from the wall (I know yours is flat).

Does it make any difference what the mirror backing is? I have the same query, but the mirror has a kind of foil backing. Is that likely to make any difference?

Use mirror adhesive to stick the mirror, if the mirror is not safety backed then use lots of mirror adhesive so that if it breaks, it will not fall on you. You are much less likely to have any problems with it. Screwing a mirror of that size is not an ideal way of fixing and the chances are you will not ever want to move it.

The foil backing is a vapour protector for mirrors in wet areas, But you can still use mirror adhesive. Also a good idea to seal all round the edges in a bathroom with low modulas silicone to prevent condensation on the rear of the mirror in such a steamy atmosphere.

I have been in the Glass and Glazing industry for 26 years. So do know what I am talking about. Do not use No More Nails or Grip Fill or similar, the solvents in these will attack the mirror

Hi,

For very large mirrors you should maybe consider some kind of mechanical fixing. However a strong purpose made mirror adhesive should do the job. Take a look on eBay - search for "mirror adhesive silicone sealant".

Make certain that it is neutral cure, so wont damage the mirror. If you're planning to use it in a bathroom, then be sure to pick one that is resistant to humidity.

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back