Sticking Plasterboard to Celotex 4 soundproof windowplug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, need an adhesive to sandwich Celotex between plasterboard to make a soundproof plug for a window, as suggested in this Youtube vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2ReTr9Syqg

this guy says use panel adhesive, googling brought up various products and as someone who hasn't even put up a shelf I'd be grateful for advice, thanks :)

Wickes has Soundshield board which sounds a bit better than ordinary plasterboard

Sponsored Links
Not a great idea, you'd be better off using rockwool pressed up against the glass and screwing a couple of layers of plasterboard over the top. You may have to fix some timber strips continuously around the edge of the window to fix the pb to.

If it needs to be regularly removed and put back, use a layer of plasterboard sandwiched between two sheets of mdf. Glued with no more nails type adhesive or loads of PVA/wood glue.

so that's not gonna work too well then? I'll have to try plasterboard & mdf then, thanks

actually if you were to stick Plasterboard to Celotex what would your best choice be?
thinking of doing it like this, the accoustics guy says the celotex acts like a gasket, so this stuff has some give in it and will push into gaps for a tight fit I suppose - given my lack of skills this might be a better option :oops:

Sponsored Links
Celly vibrates, rockwool doesn't. Use rockwool against the window and board over the lot. It would be beneficial if the rockwool was slightly compressed against the glass.

Why would you want to soundproof a room to the extent of blocking up the window too? Is your middle names Josef Fritzl? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Why would you want to soundproof a room to the extent of blocking up the window too? Is your middle names Josef Fritzl? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Chavs! Noisey Chavs!

I just worked out using soundboard it'd weigh 76 lbs so I may put the window through trying to maneuver it into position :)
How much does plain plasterboard weigh?
read on wikipedia that sound absorbing material (such as celotex) isn't very effective with low frequencies (which is the problem) but thought it would squeeze into the window making a good seal. From what the guy in the video said assumed the stuff is a bit rubbery like that but doesn't look so on videos of people fitting the stuff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back