Stiff Upvc door handle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I've noticed that the Upvc door handle for my front door has been very stiff whenever I try to lift it up. It lifts up around 80 degrees without any resistance, however for the final part it gets stuck and I need to push it very hard to force it into position. What do you think the problem might be?

Sponsored Links
Sorry i must have got the wrong term :D Similar to one of these doors
IMG_0701.jpg

Is it the same when operated whilst door is open?

Sponsored Links
The door will need adjusting then.
It looks fairly new, Is it still under guarantee? If so get the fitters to come back and adjust it for you

Sorry no it's not under guarantee anymore, that photo was just a generic photo off Google to explain the door I had.
Is it where you adjust the hinges using an allen key? I think I've seen it in a few videos. Appreciate the rapid responses guys!

When you lift the handle pins or bolts come out from the door edges and lock into holes in the opening. The operating mechanisms can wear causing the pins not to work smoothly. See if you can check what's actually wrong, sometimes you can see wear or score marks where the pins are rubbing.

The proper thing to do it called "Heel and toe" It requires removing the glazing beads, Lifting the door on the handle side and adding some extra packers above the panel on the top corner of the handle side.

If its just a little adjustment needed then you may get away with just adjusting it on the hinges. We will need a pic of your hinges to work out which ones you have.

Here are some photo's of my hinges

Attachments

• IMG_1275.JPG
    IMG_1275.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,279
  • IMG_1276.JPG
    IMG_1276.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,300
  • IMG_1277.JPG
    IMG_1277.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,107
Should be a nice easy one.
In your 2nd pic you can see an Allen key hole under the hinge, Should be a 4mm Allen key. Just wind them clockwise.
Do all 3 equally so count how many turns you do. Raise the door 2-3mm and see if it gets easier to lock

Thanks so basically each time I wind them clockwise, the door gets raised slightly?

I tried it out, I noticed some of the hinges were more loose than others. The resistance whilst lifting the handle up is still there a tiny bit but it's much better than before!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back