Stihl HT 75 chain not oiling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There appears to be a non return valve between the reservoir and chain case, have cleared it but still no oil. It doesn't appear to have a pump, at least if it does I can't see it.

Can anyone help?

Thanks. Peter.

Sponsored Links
If there is a tiny gear driven pump there, they always block......try running some light oil / paraffin mix through the machine and they usually clear after a while.
John :)

Thanks for the video, normally the first place I look - getting old!

Hi John, thought I might see you, hope you are well and thanks for the info.

Peter

Sponsored Links
That video was the right one John, only judging by the repairers hands it probably had more sawdust in it when he finished than when he started.:unsure:

Yes that's the pump on your link. The removal instructions on the video were very useful

Peter

Never had a problem with my ordinary Stihl but this one has a different system. I've got the pump out now and it is indeed clogged with sawdust.

Peter

Fixed the oiler but still have a problem. The chain was supposed to be new and it looks it but it only cuts halfway through a branch then smokes trying to cut through the second half and does very little cutting, in fact I have had it stuck in the tree two or three times. I have cut down from the top but about halfway through the branch splits and jams the the chain.

I have an ordinary 12" Stihl saw which I have used for many years, don't have any trouble with that. I have tried sharpening the blade but it doesn't seem to make any difference, I'm using a 5/32" file, 4mm? that sharpens the other saw fine - what am I doing wrong.:(

Peter

7D9DDDEF-7383-41CD-9966-71199CEE7C60.jpeg If the bar jams as the branch splits try cutting away from the trunk as in the lower sketch.

Can I suggest you buy a quality Oregon or War-Tec chain from GHS or similar Peter? Your file should put a keen edge on the chain so something isn’t right.

Could be that John but I have had all sorts of chains before and not had a problem. The chain looks and feels sharp although it looks different to the chain on my other 12" saw. I wondered if it needs a smaller file, the one I use for the other saw is a bit of a tight fit but I found a couple of thinner ones today so will try that.

The strange thing is it cuts through the first half of a branch OK but seems to object to cutting it all the way through.

Peter

That's curious Peter - unless you have a Powersharp or low profile chain I reckon they are very similar.
Personally I don't find using a slightly larger file makes any difference to the cutting edge - but of course you can't go back to the smaller one!
Is the chain matched to your bar?
Regards

Well it fits John, otherwise I don't know. I think it said something about a 'pico' chain.

Peter

Picco chain, as far as I know, is favoured by chainsaw carving people....I can't say I've ever had the pleasure!
No experience with this one, I'm afraid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back