Still see plasterboard edg after ceiling has been skimmed???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I decided to get one builder to do the whole kitchen job rather than use individuals to complete the varios stages – plaster boarding, skimming, electrics,flooring, etc

I'm beginning to get a bit worried after the first few stages. After having the ceiling boarded and skimmed as the title suggests we can see some of the edges of the boards after the first 2 coats of paint. We wanted to get the paint on the walls before the kitchen and flooring is finished.

What do I do now apart from tellthe builder I am unhappy with the skim finish and is this easily amended after 2 coats of paint. Can the ceiling be sanded/filled/etc or does it need a toiatl re-skim?

Please let me know asap 'cause I need to make a quick decision?

Sponsored Links
if the edges havn't been covered properly then it will need filling over especially if you can still see it after 2 coats of paint.

i wouldn't of thought it would need a whole re-skim just get him to put a fine layer over the edges he's not covered properly, might need treating with PVA first though on the areas he is going to do, but as your the customer and if your not happy get him to set it right, at the end of the day your paying.

It's more like a border around one of the larger plasterboards protruding from the ceiling as if its on a different layer.

was the board on a differant level to the others didyou notice?

just mention it to the builder if you not happy, better doing it now before he's gone and u can't get him back

Sponsored Links
I'm a total novice so I didn't notice after the skim had dried. Once painted you could see the edges as if the board was on a different level (only by maybe 2-3mm. I've just spoke to them over the phone and apparently they're going to make it look good – even offered to re-paint it but I'll have to wait and see tonight.

To be honest It's not noticable during the day where you have light hitting the ceiling from all angles. And when the 6 halogen lights are in place and turned on they'll make the ceiling darker and harder to notice the edges. It's just they've left on light bulb hanging from one of the holes and it shows up these edges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back