Stinky drains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into a property that had been previously rented and was empty for a year before i moved in. The problem i have is that my utility room and my ensuite stink! The best way to describe the smell is that it smells like rotting swede. Really not nice. It's the first thing that hits my nostrils in the morning.
I've tried bleach, bicarb & vinegar, plunging and loads of other stuff designed to unstink plugholes but nothing has worked.
If the house is shut up for the day, when I get home the whole house smells. My bathroom & kitchen sinks are fine.
Please please any advice would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Can we have a pic of the ensuite WC please, particular any pipework from the toilet. My first thoughts are you've an Air Admittance Valve, (AAV) that has stuck open.

Have you tried dismantling the traps? It's a stretch, but could be siphonage occurring with a piece of cotton cloth or something.

Cant tell from that pic which way the WC outlet is going, to the side or into the floor. Looking the other side of the WC, does the boxing come up to about level with the top of the cistern in the corner?

What is in the corner? I can see what looks like more boxing in, need to see how big that is and how high it goes. I still suspect you may have an Air Admittance Valve in there, which is basically a one way valve that should open to allow air into the drains when required. If this has stuck open, it'll be allowing odours from below to invade your room!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back