stolen cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI after some advise new build flats (42) 3 incoming pme supplies .
vandles have broke into 3 plant rooms and stole the earth cable .does anyone know if scottish power will charge for the incoming earth cable that has been hacked of just below floor level in the duct .am not an electrician myself but have got friends that are .believe the earth is taken of the neutral on these supplies so is it dangerous to not have the other incoming earth connected and would it be a chargeble job for scotish power
sorry about the text not my forte..

Sponsored Links
Scot Power will charge your for anything they can mate....Is the site live yet ? Have Scot Power left site and finished.....If not Give the Project manager a ring and see if he can sort it without any extra expense, they usually bend over backwards for site agents,customers etc etc....depending on how your supplied and how much they have nicked, he may be able to sort it!!!!

thanks for the reply forgot to mention they have only stole about 6m max think 20mm2 may be. not worth much but more the bother.all the flats are occupied thats why i was curious if the supplimentary earth that is bolted to the fuse cabinet is 100% needed for the domestic side or just to earth there incoming supply

Yes it's absoloutly needed!!!!!

Ring the emergency number for scottish power right now.

You need someone on site ASAP. The installation is in a dangerous condition as it is.

Sponsored Links
have been told the domestic side is still earthed through the neutral (pme supply)so why is that earth so important to the instalation

so why is that earth so important to the instalation

More than likely it is one of the system earths to make it PME as they probably go out to earth rods, that makes it SP's problem!
Of course without them the PME is compromised which is a serious issue!

Have you had what we call "multi-head" cutouts installed by SP......they are like a big dark grey cabinet with lots of cut-out fuses in them (one for each flat)......if so have they stolen the Earth connection to that panel.....

thanks for the replys will try to explain as best i can .
incoming supply goes into say 2ft by 2ft grey cabinet full off fuses ,earth runs along side this and is bolted to the grey cabinet .
then out off the top there is 26 black cables 2 each going to a fuse then meter then i think is it brown and blue cable go to a cut off switch and then onto the flats the earth is taken back from the fuse to a earth block and then onto the cut off switch so why is it so important to have the other earth for the domestic side .my wifes shop is pme supply she didnt have a earth till late last year old fuse box got updated scottish power came out and took a earth of the neutral to a block checked the loop impedence and of they went 15mins £145 so why is this one so important is it because its flats

so why is this one so important is it because its flats

PME stands for Protective Multiple Earthing
The earth wire going out of the building is to an earth rod and forms part of this system and for this type of supply will be a requirement of an SP CoP.

This earth wire is not required for a single phase service or a three phase service to one premise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back