Stolen scooter, now recovered, now have storage fees to pay ;(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My scooter was stolen some 7 months ago, last week it was found in different town.

I now find that I have been presented with the storage fees to pay and or disposal fee.

I have already made a claim, and had a pay out from the insurance company, so don't know where this leaves me, I'm presuming the scooter insurers technically own the scooter, so are they liable to sort it out.

Thought I'd ask the question here, as someone has bound to have been in the same position... before I start ranting over the phone..

TIA

Sponsored Links
Yep. It’s the insurance company's problem. Pass all the paperwork on to them and forget all about it.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Boys, I'll call the insurer tomorrow and tell them to sort it.

Thanks

Is it usable? Does it have any net value? Insurance company probably won't want it and may well "sell" it back to you if you settle the charges.

My car was written off, the other parties insurers paid me £1,750, then sold me the salvage for £175, I sold the car for £600 or £700 within a few days. That was over 15 years ago so a nice little earner at the time.

Not sure, impossible to find out, will have been hot-wired as a minimum and panel damage all around... I'd already washed my hands of it.

Thanks though.

The first Mrs Secure used to ride mopeds. They were always nicked by scrotes. And they were always damaged beyond repair.

One we got back was a bare frame and engine and another we found burnt out in a field.

My car was written off, the other parties insurers paid me £1,750, then sold me the salvage for £175, I sold the car for £600 or £700 within a few days. That was over 15 years ago so a nice little earner at the time.

In 1992 I bought a Carlton for £300. 10 years later someone ran into the back of it at low speed when crawling in traffic. My towbar mostly protected the body, but the panel behind the rear bumper was slighly deformed. You would have to get down on your hands and knees to notice.

Because of the car's age and low value, the other party's ins co wrote off my car, paid me £300 and let me keep it. I got several more years motoring before scrapping it. Motoring will never be this cheap again.

In 1992 I bought a Carlton for £300. 10 years later someone ran into the back of it at low speed when crawling in traffic. My towbar mostly protected the body, but the panel behind the rear bumper was slighly deformed. You would have to get down on your hands and knees to notice.

Because of the car's age and low value, the other party's ins co wrote off my car, paid me £300 and let me keep it. I got several more years motoring before scrapping it. Motoring will never be this cheap again.
I have a Honda SH300 scooter. I bought it new in 2009 and paid £3,500 for it. I have been knocked off of it three times - one rear ender and two side collisions. Never my fault. One insurance company paid out and two others didn’t want to go through the insurance so paid me cash. In total, I have had £4,950 back and I still have the bike. All I’ve ever replaced in those accidents were two front screens and one rear number plate. It’s well battle-scarred but it is still mechanically perfect after 32,000 miles and has never failed an MOT. Now that’s cheap motorcycling (as long as you can walk away from the accidents!)

I have a Honda SH300 scooter. I bought it new in 2009 and paid £3,500 for it. I have been knocked off of it three times - one rear ender and two side collisions. Never my fault. One insurance company paid out and two others didn’t want to go through the insurance so paid me cash. In total, I have had £4,950 back and I still have the bike. All I’ve ever replaced in those accidents were two front screens and one rear number plate. It’s well battle-scarred but it is still mechanically perfect after 32,000 miles and has never failed an MOT. Now that’s cheap motorcycling (as long as you can walk away from the accidents!)
Knocked off 3 times and your still riding! Hats off to you (y)

You are less likely to get it stolen if the next one you get is a mobility scooter.

The first Mrs Secure used to ride mopeds. They were always nicked by scrotes. And they were always damaged beyond repair.

One we got back was a bare frame and engine and another we found burnt out in a field.

Throughout The 80s I rode mopeds and small engined motorcycles before upgrading to a Superdream. :cool: Only security I used was the bike's own steering lock. Never had any problems and never doubted the bike would be there when I returned. Even leaving it all day while at work. Guessing I would have to nail them down now and have a rottweiler tethered to stop interference. But again, society has really gone down the pan since 80s.

I think you've gone one better than me by actually turning a profit out of your bike. Should have put in a few back and neck claims while you were at it. Quids in! ;)

Sponsored Links
Back