Stop this pot from tipping over

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have these pots outside my house. This is an old picture and the plants have grown significantly since taking this picture.

upload_2021-9-27_8-1-11.png

The issue I have is that the pot on the right (never the one on the left) tips over in the slightest bit of rain/wind. They are acrylic pots.

When they tip over it spills out the compost and makes a real mess. Can this be solved?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
A difficult one as the base is too small and will always be unstable.
Can you secure it to the wall using a cabin hook and eye or similar?
John :)

We had a same problem with our planters,
Basically pots too small at the base, you could empty put bricks at the bottom or wire around pot fasten to the wall

Burnerman made same suggestion

Because they’ve grown since this picture, they are placed several inches away from the wall

Sponsored Links
I had a similar thing with large, round base pots containing bay trees....even though they weighed around 100lbs the wind would still tip them over.
I've changed them now for square base acrylic pots.
John :)

Would a bit or mortar help stick them in place?
Probably need new pots though

Adding more weight into the bottom of the pots will help and / or a bit of string to stabilise the the foliage to the wall.

How about rebar (possibly two) that go someway into the ground and into the bottom of the pot?
I don't see why not! But they would probably need to be splayed outwards, or have an additional lateral support further up the pot to avoid the rotational force :)

Maybe, if you really like the style of pot and don't want to re-pot the plants, you could get a similar colour pot that is low and wider, and put them in, and fill with shingle.

I had the same problem and – as has been well suggested – I bolted the pots into the ground through the drainage hole. Find a large washer (larger than the drainage hole) or any piece of sheet steel and drill a hole in it, then just fix the put down via that. Don’t even need a bolt – a screw and plug would do it. Just make sure you ensure there is still drainage.

If you're dead set on that shape of pot, small paving slab, fix through bottom of pot into slab, per other suggestions. You'll be able to move it around still but it'll be pretty heavy [and could easily rip the bottom off the pot if you're not careful moving it, I suppose]. I don't mean some plain old concrete slab, I mean something a little bit fancy so it looks nice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back