Storage heater help

What if I turn the fuse off on right box and put other one one will that work do you think ?
it's the only switch Tht is next to or could be for heater.
Am not sure if am on economy 7 as waiting for supplier to get back to me would this make a difference as well

Attachments

• 15277673246911908557023.jpg
    15277673246911908557023.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 229
Sponsored Links
The photo looks fine, so doesn't give any clues. There is no inbuilt convector, it is only a standard storage heater. So as the right hand consumer unit to which it should be connected is turned off, it should not be working at any time. So, it must be connected to the left hand one. So as you have discovered it will work anytime but will be using full price electricity.

This is how it should work:

The consumer unit on the left is powered permanently and your lights, sockets, etc will all be connected to it. Turn that off, they will all go off. If you want to try it and see if the storage heater stops working too, you could, and it would prove that the heater is connected to it. But be careful if you do. The storage heater is full of 'bricks' which store up the heat and once warm they can stay warm for hours after it is actually switched off. Hence why they are called storage heaters. You would have to try this when it had cooled completely. Bear in mind through that your fridge / freezer etc., will also be off. You could check to see if any of the circuit breakers make mention of the 'storage heater' but it's unlikely.

The consumer unit on the right should only receive power charged at a cheaper rate during the 'off-peak' times when and it is there specifically for the storage heater (as the label above the circuit breaker confirms) but you say that this consumer unit has never been switched on. However, you tell us the heater is coming 'on' when you turn on the wall switch, so it is obvious that the storage heater is connected to somewhere else. Whether you have economy 7 or not is irrelevant at the moment and makes no difference, as the consumer unit is permanently 'off' anyway.

My guess is that someone has moved the storage heater wiring from the 'off-peak' consumer unit to the 'normal rate' consumer unit, which would mean it will heat up at anytime.

The photo looks fine, so doesn't give any clues. There is no inbuilt convector, it is only a standard storage heater. So as the right hand consumer unit to which it should be connected is turned off, it should not be working at any time. So, it must be connected to the left hand one. So as you have discovered it will work anytime but will be using full price electricity.

This is how it should work:

The consumer unit on the left is powered permanently and your lights, sockets, etc will all be connected to it. Turn that off, they will all go off. If you want to try it and see if the storage heater stops working too, you could, and it would prove that the heater is connected to it. But be careful if you do. The storage heater is full of 'bricks' which store up the heat and once warm they can stay warm for hours after it is actually switched off. Hence why they are called storage heaters. You would have to try this when it had cooled completely. Bear in mind through that your fridge / freezer etc., will also be off. You could check to see if any of the circuit breakers make mention of the 'storage heater' but it's unlikely.

The consumer unit on the right should only receive power charged at a cheaper rate during the 'off-peak' times when and it is there specifically for the storage heater (as the label above the circuit breaker confirms) but you say that this consumer unit has never been switched on. However, you tell us the heater is coming 'on' when you turn on the wall switch, so it is obvious that the storage heater is connected to somewhere else. Whether you have economy 7 or not is irrelevant at the moment and makes no difference, as the consumer unit is permanently 'off' anyway.

My guess is that someone has moved the storage heater wiring from the 'off-peak' consumer unit to the 'normal rate' consumer unit, which would mean it will heat up at anytime.
Thanks
Yeah I've just moved into property so I have never touched any of the fuses, one on left had got one saying storage heater living room would it be okay to turn that off and turn other on then i will see if it's working won't I?

Looks like you found the answer then. The storage heater wiring appears to have been moved from the consumer unit on the right to the one on the left. Turning 'off' the circuit breaker on the left hand consumer unit marked 'Storage Heater Living Room' will no doubt stop it working.

Turning the other one 'on' though won't help. Switching something 'on' won't stop the heater from working, and from what you have discovered, it looks as if the wiring for it has been moved from the consumer unit on the right to the one on the left, so the right hand consumer unit is probably not connected to anything anymore. Hence, why it has been turned off.

If you are planning to use the storage heater then I would recommend that you get Economy 7 or Economy 10 etc., reinstated and the wiring put back as it should be. If you, do the cost of running it will be much lower.

Sponsored Links
Looks like you found the answer then. The storage heater wiring appears to have been moved from the consumer unit on the right to the one on the left. Turning 'off' the circuit breaker on the left hand consumer unit marked 'Storage Heater Living Room' will no doubt stop it working.

Turning the other one 'on' though won't help. Switching something 'on' won't stop the heater from working, and from what you have discovered, it looks as if the wiring for it has been moved from the consumer unit on the right to the one on the left, so the right hand consumer unit is probably not connected to anything anymore. Hence, why it has been turned off.

If you are planning to use the storage heater then I would recommend that you get Economy 7 or Economy 10 etc., reinstated and the wiring put back as it should be. If you, do the cost of running it will be much lower.

Thanks could it be wired to both and they have just knocked one off is that possible ?
I finally got some one to talk to electric supply is not on e7 or e10 yet waiting for new account to be set up
Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it. All this confuses me

Last edited:
Thanks could it be wired to both and they have just knocked one off is that possible ?
Yes, it's possible. I suppose if the wires weren't long enough to extend from the right consumer unit to the left one, they could have linked them.

electric supply is not on e7 or e10 yet
That would explain why the heater is now connected to the left consumer unit. The right one probably isn't working. Why anyone with a storage heater would want to get rid if e7 or e10 though is strange. They would have been paying as much as 3 times more for the electricity it was using.

All this confuses me
You're not doing too badly and seem to be grasping it. The basic concept is that you have two consumer units one is 'live' 24/7 for your light / power etc., the other is 'live' only when a cheaper tariff is available (ie during the night) this would be used for heating up your storage heater. You choose how much heat you want it to store overnight with the 'input' dial and then regulate how much heat you want out of it during the day using the 'Room Temp / Boost' dial. With e7 The tricky bit in very cold weather is having the input set high enough overnight so the heater has enough heat stored and doesn't run out during the day. e10 helps here as you can have an additional 3 hour boost in the afternoon.

Thanks yeah last Tennant didn't seem to pay for electric so guessing they stopped e7 or e10 and connected it back to main fuse box. As would the one on right fuse box just the storage heater only heat up at economy times.
Should I turn off the main fuse on left box and see if it heats up?

Should I turn off the main fuse on left box and see if it heats up?

You can if you like. Personally I would try turning off just the circuit breaker marked ' Storage Heater Living Room' first, then it won't interfere with everything else.

As you're a tenant, the landlord should sort the wiring out for you.

Thanks, but if am not on e7 or e10 will it send electric to storage heater or do I have to wait until I change over before it will send electric over ?

The left consumer unit is the normal supply that all homes have for lights & sockets etc., and is 'live' 24/7. The storage heater has been wrongly connected to it, and so is heating up when ever you turn it on.

When you have an e7 / e10 supply installed, and the right hand 'off-peak' consumer unit is working again, it will only be 'live' during the 'off-peak' tariff, (this is the responsibility of your electricity provider) the storage heater supply wiring will need to be disconnected from the 'normal' one where it is now, and put back into the 'off-peak' consumer unit on the right. (this is the responsibility of your landlord)

Thanks can't I just knock it off on main fuse box one labelled storage heater and turn other one one once e7 e10 sorted with supplier ?

You are assuming here that it is connected to both consumer units. It may be, if someone completely incompetent has been working on it, but even then I would think it unlikely. However, without inspection we can only guess.

If as you suspect and it is connected to both, it would present a dangerous situation for several reasons, so would still need rectification. It does not appear to represent a danger immediately as you don't have an e7 or e10 supply. So don't panic, but it would need sorting at some point so that the storage heater is only wired to the off-peak consumer unit.

Thanks how can I tell if it's wired to both fuse boxes and not just one ?

By opening up the consumer units and seeing which of the circuit breakers the cable from the storage heater is connected to. Electrical testing with suitable equipment may be required to identify the the cable. However, you shouldn't open up a consumer unit unless you know what you are doing as there will be 'live' parts inside even when the main isolator switch is off.

Thanks so if it is both connected would I have to get electrician in to redirect it to e7 meter? And cancel main one left fuse box am just trying to get my head round how to find out if it's even connected to e7 meter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back