storage heater power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys i have storage heaters in my flat, i wanted to do away with them as i find that they aren't to my expectations, i would like to replace them with electric heaters and run them through the wiring from the storage heaters, this means i need constan feed of power the board for the storage heaters goes to a remote teleswitch which can be activated to give power but i cannot get it to be deactivated completley, has any one got any ideas on how i can achieve constant supply or should i remove the switch all together?

Sponsored Links
Have a look at these..

http://www.electric-heatingcompany.co.uk/electric-radiators.html

they replace storage heaters and you also need to get the tariff changed to economy 10... they can either be set up to run individually or off a room stat and programmer.

They claim that they are more economic than NSH!

Personally I have not fitted any of these and I have nothing to do with the company! So make your own mind up!

hi guys i have storage heaters in my flat, i wanted to do away with them as i find that they aren't to my expectations, i would like to replace them with electric heaters and run them through the wiring from the storage heaters, this means i need constan feed of power the board for the storage heaters goes to a remote teleswitch which can be activated to give power but i cannot get it to be deactivated completley, has any one got any ideas on how i can achieve constant supply or should i remove the switch all together?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

DO NOT TOUCH THE RADIO TELESWITCH. IT IS NOT YOUR PROPERTY AND IS ALWAYS LIVE.

On a lighter note, convector heaters will cost (i guess) 3 times more to run than storage heaters. You would need to ask the supplier to come and remove their unnessecary equipment (teleswitch and dt meter), and change your tarrif to standard. If you dont change your tarrif, you will be paying more for daytime use than on a standard tarrif (this is how it works on eco7)

If storage heaters aren't to your satisfaction, ask your supplier if there are other tarrifs available which would supply power to the heaters at alternative times (eco10 for example, i'm sure there are others).

Convection heating during the day is the most expensive method of heating a place.

To get the most of ECON 7 you need to use 20% of all your electricity during the off peak period, otherwise it could be costing you more. 20% is quiet a lot when you take into consideration the summer months.

So depending on when you are using your electricity it might be better to consider ECON 10 or a standard tariff.

See this link http://www.uswitch.com/gas-electricity/economy-7/

I saw the heatingcompany stuff at elex and their kit seems to tick the right boxes. I have yet to verify their claims. Apparently they have staff to help with the tariffs and with your load assessments if required.

Sponsored Links
cheers guys, all the information has been helpfull, i have been struggling to get answers on the actual teleswitch and the power for ages.

just another question i am to understand i am not allowed to remove the teleswitch at all, or can i remove it and then return it to suppier,

if however i do have to get the supplier to do this is it going to cost me?

As far as I understand it, it is not yours, so you can't work on it, likewise the meter and service head. You need to call your supplier and get them to remove the equipment.

You will need to call them anyway to get the tariff changed.

Depending on the layout you may need an electrician to put the off peak consumer unit to a peak supply.

if however i do have to get the supplier to do this is it going to cost me?
As you are changing tarrifs, they may do it free (as a side effect of tarrif change), but if they are feeling mean they might charge a fee for it (tarrif change fee)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back