Storage Heater Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The input neutral wire and connection on my Dimplex Storage heater has completely burnt out, scoring and partially melting the connection block.

Does anyone have any idea why this has happened?

What makes things worse is the fuse on the fuse board did not blow either; does anyone have any idea why this did not happen?

I am going to get an electrician in, but has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Loose connection.The cable is possibly damaged as well for a couple of inches back from the connection.

probably a loose connection on that neutral, loose arcing heating up etc, it didnt take out the fuse because it broke and stopped the flow this neutral was then "dead"

Thanks for the prompt replies.

I am relatively competent with wiring. Do you think I should risk replacing the input wire myself or is it best to get an electrician, to check it out?

Sponsored Links
The wire should be a flex to an adjacent DP switch.This should be straightforward to replace if you feel you are competant to do it.You will need to replace the connector block as well and check any other local wiring for damage ie the wires out of the connector to the heater.
The flex needs to be replaced like for like (ideally with heat resisting if not already fitted).
Remember to isolate the night storage CU when connecting into the DP switch.

The one thing fuses, MCBs and RCDs cannot detect is loose connections.

The reason is that no extra current is drawn by a loose connection, and it generally doesn't leak to earth. So it goes undetected by all protective devices.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back