Storage Heater Thermal Fuse Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm trying to sort out a storage heater in our house that has stopped working - its still getting power (the wall switch for it has a light) and all other heaters in the house are fine. It went from working one night to nothing the following (not a steady decline).

Research suggested it was the thermal fuse/link so I purchased one listed as the right one for my model (TSR18MW-79354S) but couldn't see anything like it when I took the cover off. Here's what I bought:

But when I took the cover off, here's what I could see:

Anyone have any ideas?

I've found what a replacement for the whole thermostat module here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dimplex-9...987?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item486b9d6b13

But its £35 and I don't want to but it if I don't need it!

Thanks in advance for any help.[/url]

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the response Andy, yep putting the meter on it is the next task, I was just hoping before I take the cover off again if someone can confirm if they've seen this setup before and if the thermal fuse I've bought wont fit (as I suspect).

I may be wrong, but I think this model has a resettable thermal cutout, where the cream piece of plastic is. Does anything there push and click to reset? If that has gone you need to work out why, it could be the input thermostat has stuck on. One way to check this is to use a hair drier on the bulb part of the thermostat, usually located at the bottom of the heater, and put a meter on continuity across the input thermostat and see if it switches on and off.

Sponsored Links
IMG_0416-300x225.jpg

Is it the bit sticking up above the left side of the brown square part?

EFLImpudence/flyingsparks

Are you referring to the bit I've circled?

If so, yes I think it was sticking up and I pressed it down out of curiosity and thought it made a clicking noise. I'll opened it up and take a closer look.

So I'm guessing the thermal fuse I have (pictured) isn't for this model then?

Thanks again

Bob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back