storage heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Ive just brought a flat and it has 3 old electric storage heaters connected from the wall. I was hoping to to dissconnect the wires and take them off, but i will be left with the wires hanging from the wall and wondered if there's is a little connetion box i could wire them into and then screw that to the wall. I dont want to bury the wires in the wall as they are still live and could do serious injury if anyone was to drill through them. Im not experienced enough to locate the wires to the mains and dissconnect them. Can anyone help please?

Sponsored Links
Does the existing wiring terminate in sorm form of connection unit on the wall before connecting into a flex to the storage heaters? If that's the case, just disconnect the flex from the connection unit at the wall (making sure the supply is OFF first, of course).

That aside, it would be a far neater solution to have the supply to the heaters taken out of service. They are likely to be on a seperate economy 7 supply with their own CU/fuseboard, in which case isolation should be relatively easy. Can you give us a bit more information or perhaps a picture of your meters + fuseboard(s)?

If you really don't feel competent doing the work, it wont cost too much simply to have an electrician disconnect the supplies.

Thanks for replying, ive had a better look and there is a fused unit next to the storage heaters, is it as simple as just dissconnecting the wiring from the back of the connection unit and pulling the flex through from the heater? The heater in the front room has not got a fused unit next to it but does have a switch, do i dissconnect this in the same way?

Sponsored Links
MR CHIPPY said:
Thanks for replying, ive had a better look and there is a fused unit next to the storage heaters, is it as simple as just dissconnecting the wiring from the back of the connection unit and pulling the flex through from the heater? The heater in the front room has not got a fused unit next to it but does have a switch, do i dissconnect this in the same way?

As long as you leave the switches/FCUs and the incoming wiring in place then it is fine to remove the outgoing flex to the heaters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back