Storage Heaters Not Working

Close up on its way but what is the teleswitch? I.e. what EXACTLY should I take a close up of?

All the heaters are turned on at the individual switch boxes on the walls next to them and the knobs at the top are set at "2" which would normally be fine.

Sponsored Links
Roo, there are two meters and I think one if for economy 7 or whatever it's called with the other for general supply.

Edward, the individual heating controls are on each separate unit. There is no overall thermostat switch anywhere.

Hope this helps

The teleswitch switches on your off peak supply so the heaters charge over night when there is less demand for electric, therefore it is sold to you at a cheaper rate. This should be measured by your OP meter or a dual tarrif meter.

The teleswitch switches the OP power on / off when it receives a radio signal telling it to do so.

Roo said:
Sorry this is me being thick....

But why have you a single rate meter if you have E7?

Or is this a different DNO's do different things again? :confused:

And what is the other meter at the bottom for?

Yes it looks odd to me too

Sponsored Links
It isn't clear in the pics at all, but the two switches in the grey frame to the right are in the off position.

Is it me or is that a single rate meter?

Can you take a photo of the bottom meter and its supply, and tell us whether the dial moves on that meter at any time, what you think it supplies, and a photo of where your meter's supply comes from.

Hi
Maybe off track but can you post a pic of the small unit below your lower meter please ??
Cheers
Ed.

So does ANYTHING at all work from this CU? Try the circuits on the right hand side, as they should be always live.

If its just the ones on the left (storage) that will not work, ever, then the radio teleswitch is forked.

If nothing works on this unit, then something further afield is forked.

No, the items working from the right side are all in good operative order. They're fine.

It's only the ones on the left - and the switches inside the radio teleswitch are in the off position.

It's Scottish Power's box, sealed by them, so I'll call 'em in the morning!

It's getting late, I'll leave it at that tonight.

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I'll check the thread tomorrow for any new replies and let you know how I get on.

Once again, thanks for all the help.

EdwardCurrent said:
Hi
Maybe off track but can you post a pic of the small unit below your lower meter please ??
Cheers
Ed.

This unit provides power to the shower and shed outside.

It does sound like the contactor in the teleswitch has failed then. Odd that you have power from the off peak meter during the day though.

I personally think one of my northern colleagues has cocked up when changing the off peak meter.

There are 2rate tariffs out there that use 2 single rates (1 for off peak and 1 for peak) but the timer is either before the off peak meter or before all load on the off peak meter.

The top meter in the pics has an off peak load controlled by the timer and a 24hr load, and as it is a single rate the supplier won't be able to tell how much is used off peak.

So i'm assuming all units recorded on that meter will be regarded as off peak.

As for your heaters ask my DNO pal to fit you a mechanical time clock instead of the tele switch as the only problem I know about with the teleswitch's is they occasionally don't pick up the radio signal so are unable to switch.

I'm sure the bloke who comes will be able to sort it as I've heard scottish power employees are highly intelligent ;) :LOL:

Turn up your thermostats tonight, and turn everything on. atleast on one heater.

It may well work.

It has been warm in the evenings, so setting 2 may do sweet FA.

Can you carefully take the cover off the top consumer unit to rule out any overheating issues inside?

If not this, then it has to be the teleswitch - sorry Roo!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back