Store my big ladders outside?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a big 3-section extension ladder. It just about fits in my garage but takes up a lot of valuable room and is a pain to get in and out as the only place I have for it is ceiling height... getting it down solo risks tweaking your back!

Is mounting some supports on the outside wall of the garage reasonable or will the weather destroy it?

Security isn't much of a concern where we are, but either way the wall in question is inside our lockable yard and not visible from the road. It's a bit of dead space that would be quite handy for storing things that are fine outside... ladders, plastic pipes, treated timer, etc.

Sponsored Links
You can buy lockable ladder racks/hooks.
Mine has two ladders on it, also locked together with a motorcycle chain and padlock.
Again, behind a tall locked gate

Sure but are the ladders likely to mind being outside is my main concern? It's aluminium so in theory it shouldn't corrode but...

Aluminium will be fine outside, with the possible exception of any rollers or brackets that allow the telescoping......on mine those bits are steel so some treatment wouldn't go amiss.
It wouldn't be difficult to rig up some sort of cover, but do chain them to something.
John :)

Sponsored Links
And make sure that something cannot be removed.
NOT just something screwed to a thing wooden shed wall.

I have had many sets of ladders stolen in the past.
Now I have them outside on big hooks hanging vertically up the back of the house with a scaffold plank in front of the treads and a BFO chain going through 2 holes in the plank (top and bottom) that's padlocked to a stone wall fixing.

While the ladder is going nowhere, it has got a little moldy and needs a clean :)

My aluminium ladders have been stored outside for over 4 years.
They get used about once a month for cleaning the upstairs windows and then put back on their brackets and securely locked up with a heavy duty chain, which is sleeved in a chainmail jacket to prevent being cut off without difficulty, and a solid 6 digit combination lock.
I have no problems extended and closing them whenever I need to use them. I would say securing them is the more important matter.

Cool. Now I just need to get some ladder holders that are also weather proof!

Thanks all

All they are is sturdy brackets with a hole for a padlock
A huge FO bike chain and massive screw eye is fine.

With an ali ladder you could always get an electric fence tranny and battery inside the garage and wired to the ladder :evil:

a neighbour over the road has brackets on the wall hers go though with a bar that gets padlocked across the ladders.

I keep my ladder down the side of the house. It seems to be doing OK.

Surely if you keep it covered with something to keep the water and stuff out, it will be fine?

I keep my ladder down the side of the house. It seems to be doing OK.

Surely if you keep it covered with something to keep the water and stuff out, it will be fine?
But that's the question, does it need to be covered?

Last edited:
I have my triple extending ladders hanging from the garage ceiling on a pulley system. Uses up space that can't be used for anything else and the pulley system makes lifting them up and down very easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back