Storm damage or new roof failed its first proper test?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First post here, hope you don't mind me asking for your valued opinion if possible.

Had a complete new roof installed on our property, a 3-storey Victorian conversion, last summer - replacing a 130 year old one which had come to end of its natural life.

The new roof was installed by an NFRC member and the new roof is supposed to be backed by a 10 year guarantee.

Unfortunately the roof started to leak on Christmas Eve, when admittedly we did have those heavy gusts of wind.

I contacted the roofer to tell him that my new roof is leaking and he said that I need to contact my household insurance provider because any water ingress can only be down to storm damage and something must have 'lifted' in the wind. His reasoning is that it can only be storm damage since the roof did not leak in the first 5 months.

I asked him about the guarantee but he stated that it doesn't cover storm damage, which is understandable I agree.

I popped up onto the roof myself earlier but could see no storm damage. What I did notice is that a lot of the mortar is flakey and cracked and some of the lead flashing and lead dormer cheeks have begun to come away.

I guess what I'd really like to know at at the end of this long winded post is - is the roofer within his rights to put it all down to storm damage and do the pictures I've taken here look like storm damage or natural wear and tear after less than six months of the job being completed?

Thanks in advance for any informed advice or opinion.

View media item 71059 View media item 71060 View media item 71061 View media item 71062 View media item 71063

Sponsored Links
From the pictures you've posted you already know that there are problems with the roof that are not storm damage, the flashing is badly fitted and parts of the render have cracked and fallen away. Whether it's the responsibility of your roofer depends on the scope of the contract he did last summer but presumably he was at least contracted to do the flashing as part of the reroof.

From your account your roofer is clairvoyant, he's dismissed the possibility of faulty workmanship without an inspection. If he's really an NFRC member then he's required to have a clear complaints procedure which would normally include a prompt inspection following a complaint. I'd check with the NFRC that he is in fact a member, if so let him know that you want to follow the NFRC dispute procedures and see if that results in a better response.

You can see what the NFRC expects here..

http://www.nfrc.co.uk/nfrc/using-a-member/if-something-goes-wrong

Thank you for your reply.

I did check with the NFRC, before contracting the company, that they are/were current members and that all checked out fine.

The scope of the contract was about as comprehensive as I can imagine - a complete re-roof and replacement of all lead flashings and dormer cheeks - my reasoning behind this being that I had one port of call in the event of any issues... Is it possible for render to be incorrectly mixed/applied?

Thinking back I did notice a fair bit of crumbled render on the roof after the first few showers once the roof was complete but didn't think anything more about it at the time.

I suspect one of the main reasons for his reluctance to come and inspect is that the roof is on top of a three storey building but that's hardly my fault?

Thanks once again for the input!

The step flashings hanging out and looks like a weak mortar mix....nothing to do with insurance.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Alastair - the more I look at it, I cannot see how this roof is supposed to last even the minimum 10 years for which it is guaranteed...

The main flat and pitched roof coverings look sound but the mortar/render and lead work look a bit flaky.

Overall the jobs looks fine till you look at the lead detailing, the bit with the mineral felt looks like a bit of a bodge..really needs tidied up and re-pointed in areas.

It's just half a day getting up there and tidying a few areas up. I'm sure he will sort that out for you. Be reasonable because roofers won't come out if you peese them off if you go guns blazing saying shoddy etc.

Good point well made.

I am certainly trying to reasonable, it doesn't help to get personal or bitter in these instances. I'm just not prepared to be fobbed off with advice to contact my insurance without the guy even coming out to inspect.

Thanks for your input.

The leadwork looks somewhat sub-standard to me.
In the first picture it looks like they have got the position of the waterline on the step flashing the wrong way round. It also looks like they have lapped the flashing over the slates as if it is a profiled tile. Soakers should have been used there.
As the mortar holding the flashing in has failed so quickly I would ask them to point it with a lead sealant instead.
The dormer cheeks have either slipped down already or they have been fitted way too close to the slates which will restrict thermal movement. they need trimming at the base and the lead tabs need a 6mm expansion gap. Furthermore the cement fillet at the base of the dormer cheek to the corner will fail time and time again. The lead will just move too much for it to stay intact. I would suggest some kind of UPVC trim fixed and sealed off with a suitable silicon.
If they are a reputable firm, they should want to sort these problems out for you.
Good luck.

Many thanks for your view - the general consensus from a number of independent views all seems to to point to sub-standard pointing/mortar and a few issues with the lead work too.

In particular it appears to me that the mortar on the length of the end of the dormer cheeks is never going to survive and keep the lead attached to the dormer window.... It's half gone already, after just 6 months.

The leadwork and cement work is very poor.

The fact that you were able to take close up pictures suggests that the roofer should have little trouble carrying out a proper inspection.

That's my thinking too. Going to send the photos to him and see if he still thinks that the roof leaking is down to storm damage.

Thank you.

Bodge_zpsd00991e4.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back