straight lines with angle grinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have to cut some drip grooves in a concrete lintel. Any thoughts on making a nice straight edge?
I was thinking maybe screw a strip of wood and use that as the guide.

Sponsored Links
Wood screwed to the wall and run the back of the grinder against it. Or wood under the lintel and the disk guard run along it

you need to work out any angle and the depth you want
you not only want a strait edge but something to run against to limit the depth

Sponsored Links
I was thinking maybe screw a strip of wood and use that as the guide.

Not the best way; think about clamping the piece of wood on. But is the lintel in place already; you haven't mentioned that. If it is, you won't get the grinder to the end of the lintel, so you might be better gluing a thin strip of say uPvc on to the edge.

Last edited by a moderator:
~you might be better gluing a thin strip of sya uPvc on to the edge~
That's what I was thinking too. Unfortunately, the lintel is in place. No idea why they weren't made with a drip channel.

As most lintels are covered over afterwards, it's not often much of an issue. I assume that the rain is running backwards under the lintel. If you've got a steady hand, you could try a bead of silicone to for a drip edge

Yes the rain is running backwards. I looked online for a suitable uPVC moulding but nothing that small came up, saw some quadrants but minimum seemed to be 12.5mm. I may just try a line of grey silicone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back