Strange Happening Danfoss FP715 Programmer. Do you have one?

Sponsored Links
I have one of these wonderful devices, in fact I've had three that have all manifested the same fault. The one I have is now out of warranty, so I'm wondering what to do now.
Contact Danfoss again. The fact that their warranty has expired is irrelevant. They have supplied you with a product which is not "fit for purpose" and not of "merchantable quality". Under British Law you can claim against the supplier for shoddy goods for six years from date of purchase. The only catch is that you have to show that the fault is not due to wear and tear. However the fact that this is the third programmer with exactly the same fault should be sufficient proof.

Danfoss should have simulated similar fault conditions to those you experienced when testing the programmer.

You should write to Danfoss, setting out the full history and telling them that you want the programmer repaired or replaced by one which does not have this fault. Give them seven days to reply. Send the letter by recorded delivery.

PS Just in case you think this approach will not work, it does. I had a faulty LCD monitor which was a year out of warranty. So I wrote to the suppliers and demanded a repair/replacement. They asked for a report, which I paid for. In the end I got the repair and the report paid for, including all postage and packing.

I have one of these wonderful devices, in fact I've had three that have all manifested the same fault. The one I have is now out of warranty, so I'm wondering what to do now.
Whilst I was the OP, Mikesjn wrote to Danfoss as he was experiencing the same problem as me. I too have contacted Danfoss recently about it so if I get a reply, I'll post it on here. In the light of Mikesjn's experience though I won't hold my breath :( TV consumer programme next maybe :D

Whilst I was the OP, Mikesjn wrote to Danfoss as he was experiencing the same problem as me. I too have contacted Danfoss recently about it so if I get a reply, I'll post it on here. In the light of Mikesjn's experience though I won't hold my breath :( TV consumer programme next maybe :D
You may have to persevere. The law is on your side, even if the manufacturers don't like admitting it.

I had very good advice from Consumer Direct (tel 08454 04 05 06) when I had the problems with my monitor. The important thing seems to be that you do everything in writing, setting out exactly what you require them to do and giving them a deadline to respond. In the end you may have to demand your money back and get another programmer.

Sponsored Links
Sent a slightly stroppy email and got this as a reply:

If you have had a situation where the heating has remained on with the
room thermostat set to minimum setting then either the room thermostat
is defective or the motorised valve that the room thermostat is normally
wired to is defective. I don't believe that a programmer fault could be
to blame in this case.

I emailed back saying everything works until we get the power fluctuation. The gate valve works correctly and the room stat is fine as we don't use the timer to control the heat . we switch it off and on with the thermostat.

I am going to replace it with a seimens and see if that stops it. If it does I will set the wife on them.

I am onto someone who seems very helpful, he is passing it to the design department and they will get back to me, hopefully later this week.

Cheers
Mike

Sent a slightly stroppy email
Wrong approach. :rolleyes:

You must always be very polite - even when sending "Letter before Action", which is telling them that you are fed up with their vacillation and procrastination and have no other recourse than to take them to Court.

I am glad that you seem to have found someone helpful; just turn on the charm ;)

When I say stroppy I just pointed out that I had sent numerous emails and had not got a reply. I wasn't rude, just direct, in the manner that some other people normally correspond. When I got a reply I apologised for what I consider being stroppy and pointed out why. It obviously worked, unlike my ultra pleasant emails.

I have the FP715 for some years now and have no issues with the controller. Very reliable I would say and have frequent power outages during winter.

I have the FP715 for some years now and have no issues with the controller. Very reliable I would say and have frequent power outages during winter.
But do the outages last longer than 1 second? Its the quick failues where the power's back on before you've notice it's off that seem to be the problem. Anything over a second or two and it's fine (in fact that's how I reset mine). If you wouldn't mind trying it, I would be interested to see what happens if you were to switch yours off and then straight back on in less than one second.

But do the outages last longer than 1 second?

Yes quite a bit longer at times and also off and on in a split second on certain occasions.

I would be interested to see what happens if you were to switch yours off and then straight back on in less than one second.

Just tried that on the mcb with CH on.
Flicked it on and off about a dozen times quite quickly.
Everything fine. :D
Shall I bash it with a hammer for the next test? :eek:

With me it only happens with rapid power fluctuations (spikes), it doesn't happen during a cut, I have tried to simulate it by flicking the switch on and off, but it is fine. I could switch it off with a hammer, could you enlighten me how to turn it on afterwards. :D

Just tried that on the mcb with CH on.
Flicked it on and off about a dozen times quite quickly.
Everything fine. :D
Shall I bash it with a hammer for the next test? :eek:
Thanks for trying, I don't think the hammer will be necessary though. If I flick the FCU switch on with mine, the display goes blank and both CH and HW are turned on. Permanently! I have to Power it down for at least 2 seconds to reset it. Maybe Danfoss have fixed the fault now and yours is one of the later versions, or I've just been unlucky with 3 faulty units. :(

Found this by accident when doing some research last night.

http://www.tfc-group.co.uk/_sa_webapp/runf579.html?page=310

There is a section about "Why does my digital programmer reset and sometimes freeze?".

Sounds familiar and looking at the PDF below it it seems they sugeest fitting surge supressor(s). I am not sure enough of what to connect up, but that has always been my suspicion, because it is always with a rapid fluctuation. I have seen it before with other equipment. I am a network engineer, so I configure various manufacturers equipment. I am happy handling electronics, but not something like this without direction.

They MUST know about it,ive changed loads of them,all for the same fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back