Strange lighting circuit in my mum's bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, new here so please try to be nice :)

My mum has recently separated from her partner and is now living on her own. She called me recently with some concerns about the wiring her ex did a couple of years ago in the bathroom. She never raised them at the time but now he's gone she isn't sure things have been done properly and neither am I.

I'll do my best to explain the setup.

The bathroom is in a flat roofed extension that we think was build in the 70s. When she moved in the bathroom had a conventional 1-way pullchord light switch and a single light in the centre of the room.
A couple of years ago the circuit was modified when mum's bf added an illuminated vanity mirror to it. The mirror is the conventional light up type with a pull chord switch.

Here is the fun part.

If you walk into the bathroom and pull the main light switch, the big light comes on. If you then pull the switch for the mirror, the mirror won't come on. The 2 won't come on together.

If you walk into the bathroom and pull the mirror light switch, the mirror light comes on. If you then pull the main light switch, the mirror light goes out and the main light comes on. Pulling the main light switch again does the reverse, the main light goes off and the mirror light comes back on.

You can never have both on together

I've asked her to remove the main light switch and the main light fitting and this is what she has found:

At the light switch
Normal pullchord light switch. Common/1 Way/2 Way and earth terminals.
I've drawn a sketch in paint to show how it is connected (excuse the lime green earths!)

At the ceiling rose
No point me drawing a diagram because it is a loop-in EXACTLY like this (except the colours are red and black instead of blue and brown owing to the age of the original install)

3.gif

So from what she remembers and from what I can tell without being able to go round there and look, is that her fella took a feed from the lightswitch for the mirror.

Now I'm pretty sure that isn't the right way of doing it, even though it does work.
What she originally wanted at the time was the ability to have the big light on or off at any time controlled solely by the light switch, and the mirror to be on or off at any time (regardless of the big light being on or off) controlled solely by the pullchord. I guess this would mean needing a permanent live and a switched live at the mirror? House wiring is really my thing!

So,
A) Is what she's got now inherently dangerous (it's been like this for a good few years with no problems)
B) Is what she's proposing possible?

I know for sure this work was done without any sort of notification so my questions are purely to do with the mechanics of the wiring rather than the regs behind it all for now

I just want to give her a little bit of knowledge to work with before she starts ringing sparkies, because knowing her luck she'll wind up with a cowboy and get ripped off for a full rewire or something :)

[/b]

Sponsored Links
I think you should go round and check - I don't see how it could work as described if it is wired as shown.

Generally photos of all connections (at both switches and both lights) help.

If the switch is wired as you show then it's hard to see how it could work as described.

If the guy took a switched live to the mirror from L2, and picked up a neutral from somewhere else then it would work exactly as described.

Is the lighting circuit on an RCD?

What type of light is in the mirror? Incandescent or fluorescent?

Could you ask her to take the bulb out of the ceiling light and see how the mirror light behaves?

I would try putting a lamp of equal size in each lamp and I expect you will find both glow.
I will assume the mirror lamp is across switch wires which will mean.
Bathroom light on mirror light will not work.
Bathroom light off mirror light may work at reduced light output and if you remove bulb in main bathroom light mirror light will stop working.
As to danger as long as no energy saving lamps are used it is not likely to cause any harm. Energy saving lamps could overheat but would depend on internal design.

Sponsored Links
I think I see.

The BF wired the mirror light across the Permanent & Switched lives in the pullcord for the main light.

When the main light is OFF, the neutral is backfed through the filament to the switched live in the switch, thus the mirror lamp has a neutral and permanent live feed.

Turn the main light ON and that "neutral" becomes live, thus the mirror lamp extinguishes as it is fed via two lives.

You need to source a true neutral from the loop to feed the mirror light.

Yup, as has been said - the fella has connect the supply across live/switched-live.

When the mirror light is on the neutral path is back through the main light. I bet the mirror light is a small fluorescent and the main light is an incandescent - yes? :)

You need a permanent live and a neutral to the mirror - you'll find these at the rose (loop and neutral)

Good luck!

The BF wired the mirror light across the Permanent & Switched lives in the pullcord for the main light.
Let's hope so....
Is the lighting circuit on an RCD?

When the main light is OFF, the neutral is backfed through the filament to the switched live in the switch, thus the mirror lamp has a neutral and permanent live feed.
Could you ask her to take the bulb out of the ceiling light and see how the mirror light behaves?

I'm not upset.

Not 100% convinced that the ceiling light wouldn't flash or glow though.

And it would be nice to rule out the plonker having connected the mirror light between L & E...

Can't rule anything out. It's just that working from the information given, the scenario I described seems the most likely.

Its a good old two lights in series job - depending on the lamp types, it could work just as described.

Disconnect the vanity unit from the switch, the centre light should work as it used to.

Run a new feed to the vanity unit from the centre light. As the vanity light as it's own pull CORD, I assume you do not need or want another.

I bet the mirror light is a small fluorescent and the main light is an incandescent - yes? :)

That's what I'd put my money on as well - Simple series-wired lights, with the pull switch shorting out the addition when turned on. When off, the small current for the mirror light is passing through the original lamp, the resistance of which will be relatively low so it won't light as well.

As noted previously, you'll soon confirm if this is what's happened by removing the lamp from the original ceiling light and seeing if the mirror light goes out.

Firstly, thanks all for your responses - I expected the topic to sink like a stone!

IJWS15
Unfortunately I can't pop round as she lives about 250 miles away in Wales, otherwise I would! I've asked for pics of the fittings etc though.

ban-all-sheds
Circuit is not on an RCD. I was sure the mirror was lit by a couple of GU10s but she seems to think it's a little flourescent tube. Main light is a triple incandescent if I remember rightly

securespark, Letrician, Loverocket, Paul_C
The theory you have all banded around with ban-all-sheds seems to be the most likely then! I'll get her to test it by removing the ceiling light but basically what we THINK (assuming nothing!) she probably needs is a permanent live and neutral feed from the ceiling rose instead of the lightswitch, thus allowing the mirror to work with the main light on - but would that still let her use the mirror WITHOUT the main light on? As she quite likes this "accidental" function :D

Quite how she's going to get all this sorted what with Part P, the 17th and so on I don't know. The mods 2/3 years ago were never declared and done by an amateur, if she's paying a sparky to sort it out they'll want/need to do things properly (no idea what that entails in her house to be honest, I don't know if her consumer unit will accept an RCBO etc)
If she gets an amateur to do it, or a sparky with no questions asked, then she still essentially has an "illegal" setup. Ah well, I suppose if she's not planning to move it isn't the end of the world...

Thanks again for all the help so far!

Well she got a friend to come round, disconnect the vanity light at the switch and reconnect it (via a temporary length of cable to test it) to the ceiling rose as described, using the loop and neutral from the ceiling rose.

Everything worked as it should! So thank you :)

I've told her to call an electrician now as if she wants it doing properly there are all sorts of things she needs to consider (Part P/17th etc etc) that I can't really advise her on.

Cheers again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back