Strange Lighting Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

A very strange lighting question that hopefully has a fairly simple solution.

I've recently changed the light in the hallway to the below
http://www.bhs.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/bhsstore/976876

It is controlled by two, 2 way rocker switches.
As you can see - It has 20, G4 10watt bulbs.

I wired it up as described. (three lives together, Light Neutral to two neutrals, and Light Live to Switched Live). All earths to the earth terminal on the light.

Works fine, and if it's only on for a few mins, and I turn it off, then turn it back on, there is no problem.

I the light has been on for about 2 hours and i swithch it off a strange thing happens.
If i turn it on straight away, the G4 bulbs flicker then slowly light up, and come on.
If I leave it about 5 mins then they are dim for about 30 seconds, then eventually come on.
Any longer, and the the light doesn't come on at all. However, if i leave the switch on, then the light comes on after about 20 mins on its own.

There is a slight click at the light when I turn the switch off, but this doesn;t seem to effect it coming on or off.

I guess the question is, does it sound like there could be a lose connection in the wiring I done connecting the light?
Is this a common occrance with this type of light?
Could there be a problem with the ring wiring ? (there were no issues with the normal ceilling rose that was there)
Or is the light faulty ?

Appriciate that the above is not very clear but your thoughts would be appriciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Foxhole

Yes it is - there a transformer in the ceiling Rose part or the light.
Hoped it was something like this rather than a bigger fundamental problem.!

Is there a way that I can test/check that ?

Before you take it back, check all connections are tight. If it is still acting up, replace it with a ceiling pendant. Does it still act strangely?

If not, take it back.

Sponsored Links
Are the lamps actually 10W? (even if they were supplied with the light, it doesn't have to mean they were the correct ones)

The transformer should be rated for 200 watts or more. Does the transformer have 'eaglerise' printed on it?

A 200 watt light in your hallway? I have a 20 watt light and its very bright! Take it back and buy something more efficient.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back