Strange pipe

Sponsored Links
I wonder what size it is.

The top looks like it has been hammered into the ground.

It’s 2cm across the top and sticking out 6cm but is firmly wedged in

Sponsored Links
Doesn’t look like a pipe. Maybe an earth electrode?

Last edited:
So would this be ok to chop off as I’m having patio slabs laid here?

or maybe my friend can hammer it in more?

I don't think anyone here would like to put their neck on the line by saying chop it off - just in case!
Excavate further and see where it goes -- but I think its just a bit of historic concrete reinforcing bar and therefore can be dealt with by cutting and bending.
John :)

Is there any history of a building having been on the site for which the pipe was a supply pipe.

I would be inclined to drill a small hole into the side of the "pipe" to check whether it is a live gas or water supply. Small so that if it is live then the escape can be controlled until the necessary people are called to come and cut it off.

There is a very small risk that the "pipe" is a capped-off electricity cable. Drilling into it could result in a big bang as the drill bit shorts out the conductors in the cable Dig deeper and expose more of the pipe to see if it changes direction from vertical to horizontal.

It’s in the middle of where my patio slabs will be laid so needs to be flat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back