Strange small plasterboard crack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm used to seeing cracks where walls meet ceilings, around doorways etc, but I've just noticed one in my house that I don't know how to explain.

It's on interior upstairs plasterboard wall, perfectly horizontal and about an inch in length. It's about a foot from the ceiling, but not near an edge. I've checked the other side of the wall, and there's nothing there.

Any idea what's caused this and how to remedy it?

Many thanks

20191210_193359.jpg

Sponsored Links
I could turn it into a feature I guess, blame it on the kids.

Does that mean it's nothing to worry about then?

Sponsored Links
Maybe I'll name him.

I'm really sorry for sounding stupid but stuff like this gets me stressed and you only ever see bad news articles on the internet - none of them ever say "don't worry". I'm one of those people who likes an explanation for things.

Isn’t it a scratch?
If you’re worried about that, the rest of your house must be in seriously good nick (y)

Isn’t it a scratch?
If you’re worried about that, the rest of your house must be in seriously good nick (y)

That's the trouble. We bought it as a new build and have had do many problems I get stressed whenever I spot something new.

It might be a scratch, but at over six foot high I'm not sure how. It shall remain a mystery

It's certainly random, but unlikely to be structural.

Presumably that is plasterboard, so one potential explanation is just a poor bit of boarding or scrimming (the mesh tape placed over joints to stop cracking)

Just wait to see if Mr Mystery's grin gets any bigger, otherwise give him some pollyfilla foundation and magnolia blusher.

Thanks, Woody. I think I caused the grin marking pencil at each end!

There's certainly been poor workmanship elsewhere - we've had tapes coming off corner joints before.

So whilst doing the cleaning I came across another crack which to me seems to be in a completely random place.

This one is on an external wall, but it's still platerboard.

I always thought cracks started at weak points, like extending from the edge of windows or doors. Is this likely to just be on a plasterboard join because the boarding was done badly? How looking should i keep an eye on it before filling?

Thanks, as always I'm just overly worried.

20191221_105823.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back