strange surges in water flow!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the last week our water has been coming out in surges instead of smooth flow. It's the same from all the taps - hot and cold, all parts of the house.

We haven't had any work done or cuts in water supply.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this and what we can do about it?

completely mystified!

Sponsored Links
Pray tell us more about your system.

We know that you have taps, and water, but some more detail would be nice.

Blimey! What detail would help? As you probably surmised I know nothing about plumbing....whatsover.

Thanks for answering my post. :)

As Softus said more info is needed on your system. Without some more background info no-one here will get any idea as to how your system works.

Have a look at the initial forum page and you'll see the part labelled 'before you ask a question please read this'.

Sponsored Links
OK, let me see...

It is an old system in a detached house (1940s).

When I turn on any of the taps, hot or cold, anywhere in the house, the water does come out, but the flow is in surges rather than a steady stream. It's as if the water is being pumped through unevenly, rather than it just running through in a stream (sorry I can't describe it any other way).

This started a few days ago out of the blue. There are no other problems with the system that I'm aware of.

I don't know whether this is to do with our plumbing or maybe a supply issue? Was just wondering if anyone had heard of flow surges of this type before.

Thanks again for answering my post. Sorry to sound stupid. :oops:

OK... something tells me you didn't RTFM as Baz asked!

Are you on a normal mains system, or do you have a well?

Do you have a combi or a traditional boiler with a hot water tank?

If you have a tank, is it:
a) Copper and fed from a cold water tank (probably in the loft)
b) Stainless steel, and no cold tank

When you turn taps on, is there normally a humming noise from the airing cupboard or near the bathroom/tank. This noise might be a pump. If so, has the noise changed recently?

Is there any major building work going on nearby (e.g. putting a new housing estate up)

I did too read it! :p
The list of questions doesn't mention boilers, tanks or anything like that. You underestimate my total lack of knowledge of what a 'system' means or what factors may be relevant! :D

Anyway, I'll do my best...

It's normal mains.

Traditional boiler with a hot water tank fed from a cold water tank in the loft

When I turn taps on there is not normally any noise from pumps - and still nothing like that. The only change I've noticed of any kind in our plumbing is the water flow.

There has been some building work going on nearby (house of apartments across the road). Not sure exactly what they've been doing but nothing very large scale. Could it be something to do with that?

thanks for your patience. :)

Have a word with your neighbours to see if they are also having problems. If so, then the work being done across from you may be having an impact on the supply from the mains.

If they have been switching it on and off I would certainly expect your cold mains taps to splutter a fair bit caused by trapped air but if it is also spluttering from the hot then sounds like something else as well.

Is the CH system making noises also ?

As you admit that you know nothing about plumbing or water supply then why dont you do the usual thing and call a competent plumber to investigate the problem for you?

Agile said:
As you admit that you know nothing about plumbing or water supply then why dont you do the usual thing and call a competent plumber to investigate the problem for you?
WTF?

Perhaps it's because he's come here to learn and to find practical advice.

Until he's on the cusp of doing something dangerous then it would be reasonable to offer help. Otherwise what's the point of being a forum member?

Well Softus, how does your last posting do anything to solve his problem?

I am sure that his local competent plumber will solve it !

Tony

jo2007 said:
For the last week our water has been coming out in surges instead of smooth flow. It's the same from all the taps - hot and cold, all parts of the house.

We haven't had any work done or cuts in water supply.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this and what we can do about it?

completely mystified!

Sounds internal if both hot & cold taps, depends on how your cold & hot supply is fed. Cold main, stored Hot water?..

No air coming out of the taps with the water?

And the cold kitchen tap is doing it just like the hot bath tap?

Have you got a shower mixer?

Agile said:
Well Softus, how does your last posting do anything to solve his problem?
It doesn't, but I'm looking at the bigger picture, whereas your observation that someone else will solve it would be better made by not posting.

Thanks all! Yes, the reason I'm asking is to see if any of this far-more-knowledgable-than-me forum can advise me before I start calling plumbers.

As to your various questions:
- CH not making a noise

- there hasn't been any building work done for the last day or two now & problem remains.

- actually it may be just the cold water. John's question made me double check all the hot taps and it's only the mixer taps where hot seems to be affected, so I'm guessing that could be because of the cold (?).

- it's not really a splutter, it's a regular pattern of surges, about 1 per second. It's almost as if someone's turning the taps half off and back on again so the flow peaks and troughs. But there is always a flow, no air pockets or spluttering as it comes out.

- cold water from mains, hot from a standard copper boiler that's fed from cold tank in the loft

I wouldn't be bothered about the flow issue in itself, I'm just worried it may be a symptom of something that's going to get a lot worse/very expensive (eg could the pipes be damaged?) Also concerned about the effect of uneven flow on kitchen appliances.

Incidentally... maybe I should admit at this point that I am in fact female (I can almost see your collective eyes rolling upwards at this point :LOL: )

thanks again everyone for your replies
Jo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back