Strange upstairs lights issue!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

New year, new problem!

I have a strange lighting issue that i've never come across before and am not sure how to solve.

The upstairs of my house contains the following lighting components:

Bedroom 1: 5 x Mains downlights, 4 x small LV downlights (over wardrobes), 1 x 2 gang touch dimmer. Also 2 small wall lights individually switched.

Bedroom 2: 1 x pendant light, 1 x 1 gang touch dimmer

Bathroom: 4 x LV Shower downlights, 1 x LV Extractor fan powered from the lighting circuit, with Isolator switch.

My issue... For the last few weeks the bathroom light has been switching off the small downlights above the wardrobe! It happens both when the bathroom light is switched on or off but does tend to occur either when the bathroom light has been on for quite a long time of if it is turned on or off about 4 times in quick succession. No other lights area affected.

I should probably mention that its been wired like this for around 2 years without any problems until recently, despite nothing on the circuit being changed. I have checked to see if the points where the switch cables are wired up have worked loose causing a short of some kind but it's all fine.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The dimmers may be reacting to the slight voltage changes when the bathroom lights are switched.

As a first test replace the dimmers with normal switches and test for a week or two. If the fault dis-appears then replace the dimmer and if the fault returns then the likely fault is in the dimmer.

When you change the dimmer for normal switches turn OFF the power and make carefull note of which wire(s) go into which terminals of the switches before removing any. If there are two or more wires of the same colour add indelible markings to them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back