Strapping a wall,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have to strap and plasterboard this previously external wall.
How close should I go to the edge of the knock-through with the 2x2s, using hammerfixings, without risking the bricks crumbling. And bearing in mind that the door frame will also need to be fixed on the end of the wall.

Sponsored Links
So you battening out a wall, to prepare for plasterboard.
As you state you are putting a doorway in, the door frame can be fixed to the brickwork of the opening, but I would still install battens as close to open as possible. If you drill off centre of the 2''x2'' you can get a good 1.5'' from edge of brickwork, or altermative instead of using 2x2 for this area use a larger section may be 4x2 and the drill hole can be set further away.

Sponsored Links
Whenever battening a wall, we tend to fix a broad top and bottom rail (i.e. one against the ceiling and one against the floor) so that we can skew fix the vertical battens into these prior to drill-fixing them down the length.

It makes setting out and fixing a lot easier.

The top and bottom rail would typically be 100mm wide.

That seems eminently sensible!. I've just been faffing around looking for something to hold the first vertical 2x2 in place while I mark and drill.
I have some 4x2s the right length so that's just what I'm off to do.
Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back