Street light Wattage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i dont know if there is a rough answer or a ball park figure here but what wattage would street lights be SOX,SON or even MBI

If there is too many variations thanks anyway

Sponsored Links
not being funny but it depends on the size of the street lamp...

motorway ones would be 250/400W i would think, whereas regular street light round here are fitted with 150W metal halide..

the orange SOX lamps range from 18W to 180W

each light is suited to it's own situation..

this link might be of interest..

I work in Street Lighting so am able to easy answer your question.

In housing estates, columns at 5m or 6m height, orange glow sox lamps 35w or 55w, whiter glow son lamps 70w, or son cdo-tt lamps (whiter) 70w...or white flourescent at 55w.

Main roads at height of 8m, orange glow sox at 90w, whiter glow son at 100w

Dual Carriage ways, roundabouts, 10m and 12m columns, 150w sons and 250w sons, there are still some sox 135w out there but getting less as columns are replaced.

Never seen a 100watt SON?

MBF are still in use across many residential areas in my area.

I have never come across Metal Halide in street lights. Flood lighting, yes.

Sponsored Links
100 watt SON-T quite common in Cheshire usually on 8mtr columns and used instead of 90w SOX.
The high mast on the expressways in Runcorn are around 30mtrs tall and have a minimum of 5x400 watt SON-T lanterns on the rig.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back