Streetlight connected to my Meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a old house with a c.1920's meter attached to the side out the house. Despite my best effort, electricity bills seem unusually large. Please see picture attached - the first black cable on the left below what I think is a fusebox is (I think attached the streetlight - it goes underground and pops out again 8 feet away)

Might I be paying for this streetlights electricity? Image also here https://ibb.co/egLLmQ

The first black cable (from left to right) is the streetlight, the middle is (i assume) the main cable to my house, and the third is a new extenstion to an outbuilding.

Thoughts appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20170509_124646.jpg
    IMG_20170509_124646.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 715
Sponsored Links
no, it looks like the service head is just being used as a junction box. The cable to the street lights is not coming off your meter. It is not a 1920's meter. More like 2000's

Street lights are usually "unmetered supplies" and the local authority pays a flat-rate based on typical usage for all their lamps.

If you tell us what your usage is (by meter reading, not by payments) it might be informative. Your meter probably has a little flashing light, the faster it flashes, the more power is passing through. A label will tell you how many flashes per kWh and you can calculate flashes per minute at various rates.

A period covering winter months, and a period covering summer months, please.

How do you heat your home and your hot water?

Last edited:
The cable you say is the cable to the street light is connected directly to the incoming mains cable at the main fuse. Hence it is connected before the meter. The power to the street light is therefore not going through your meter.

As others have said, the streetlight is not connected to your meter.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Sorry I meant a 1920's streetlight. The meter is obviously new. Cheers

Might I be paying for this streetlights electricity?
Easy enough to show yourself that you are not.

After dark turn off all the main switches in all of the CUs in your house and outbuilding, and (with a torch if necessary) go and watch the meter, which will have stopped.

Despite my best effort, electricity bills seem unusually large.
What do you consider "unusually large"? What previous experiences are you comparing with?

What do you use electricity for? What have you used it for in the past?

I live in a old house with a c.1920's meter attached to the side out the house. Despite my best effort, electricity bills seem unusually large. Please see picture attached - the first black cable on the left below what I think is a fusebox is (I think attached the streetlight - it goes underground and pops out again 8 feet away)

Might I be paying for this streetlights electricity? Image also here https://ibb.co/egLLmQ

The first black cable (from left to right) is the streetlight, the middle is (i assume) the main cable to my house, and the third is a new extenstion to an outbuilding.

Thoughts appreciated.

Could be a meter fault. Those new electronic meters have been known to over read.

Easy enough to show yourself that you are not.

After dark turn off all the main switches in all of the CUs in your house and outbuilding, and (with a torch if necessary) go and watch the meter, which will have stopped.

There's an easier way. After dark turn off all the main switches in all of the CUs in your house and outbuilding and (a torch may be necessary), go and watch the streetlight, to see if it is still illuminated.

Thoughts appreciated.

There should be an isolator fitted to that supply cable to you're outbuilding if it's more than 3 meters to the CU in the outbuilding. And why are there taped up cables coming from the house ? Where's the earth ?:confused:

DS

Last edited:
There should be an isolator fitted to that supply cable to you're outbuilding if it's more than 3 meters to the CU in the outbuilding. And why are there taped up cables coming from the house ? Where's the earth ?

TT supply?
Taped up were probably E7 supply

Last edited:
Yes, could be. But in view of the lack of isolator i would want to confirm the earthing arrangement. :cautious: I never assume !

DS

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back