Strengthening a bath.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got a bath to replace our current bath and am not too happy with it. It is a standard acrylic or fibreglass bath with an integrated base board. I have had a carronite bath before and was very impressed with its stregth and heat retaining qualities. However, now I have this bath I do not want to have to waste it and spend £500+ on a new carronite bath. The bath just does not seem to be up to standard for my liking. If you hold it against a window and look inside the bath you can actually see light shining through.

My question is is it possible to apply some kind of resin coating to the outside of the bath as this is basically what the carronite baths are? If this is possible what would be the best material. I was thinking of some kind of polyester resin. Would any material like this have an adverse reaction to the existing material of the bath? Would they adhere to the fibreglass material well enough.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Short answer is regrettably no.

By the time you've tried to add more material to the bath you might as well do what is you know is the right thing - buy a decent bath.

What's actually wrong with the bath? Being able to see light through it is not at the top of my list of things to check when I choose a bath.

Stuff fibreglass or Rockwool insulation around the sides when you install it. It will firm it up and keep the water warmer

Sponsored Links
Seeing light through the bath when it was next to the french door made me think it is really not as well made as it should be. It was only in a few patches where I could see light. This made me think it was a fault. Most reinforced baths have 1 or 2 extra layers of polyester resins providing extra stregth and rigididty something really needed if using also for a shower.

You can use a whole bunch of expanding foam between it and the floor in order to stabilise it. The improved stability make make you feel better about the perceived quality

Nozzle

The difference between a decent (carronite) bath and a cheap acrylic is chalk and cheese.

Nothing you can add to an acrylic bath comes close to the rigidity of a decent one - especially if there's an over-bath shower

If the bath is installed correctly, it should be fine. I am always amazed at how some of these flimsy baths actually work when they are installed. You can put blocks under the chipboard as already suggested, build a wooden frame around it, support corners with brackets or lengths of 4x2. Masticking the bath will also stop it moving.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back