stripping cable insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hallo

Ive just completed an electrical workshop which involved MI cable termination , steel conduit and plastic conduit all interesting stuff.

However the reason for my post was the trainers method of stripping 2/3 core and earth cable which he made clear in no uncertain terms that he wanted us to strip the insulation in the same way, his method was to place the cable on the thumb and place a stanley knife on the cable then roll the cable up and down your thumb. , what are your views on methods to strip insulation from cable.

Sponsored Links
You only need one tool for BS6004 cable - a pair of cutters. Using a knife is dangerous, and amatuer, IMO.

I sometimes use a stanley knife to cut cables by placing it on a firm flat surface and slitting down the centre carefully.

Basic health and safety is never to use your hand as a "vice" when screwing or cutting, one slip and a nasty cut is the result.

Sponsored Links
Yes I have the cuts to prove it :mad:

I disagree with the my way or highway attitude

If you have finished the course and received any necessary certificate, you could write to the Head of the training establishment, describe that the instructor told students to use their thumb as an anvil when stripping insulation with a Stanley knife, and ask for his confirmation that this is recommended as a safe method to be taught to the students.

I do not think he can possibly say that it is.

As you have written to him, he will not be able to pretend that he was unaware next time the widow of a trainee with septicemia sues the establishment.

I cut part way into the insulation where I want it to end then I slice straight down the centre through both sides at once using the earth wire as a guide. The two halves break away cleanly when I pull them off. The only dodgy bit is getting started!

Your tale reminds me of something I once saw on TV. A group of unemployed youngsters were learning how to do all sorts of jobs in a block of new build flats. (Was it called Bricking It?) When a 'real' joiner showed them all how to chisel out a piece of wood I nearly fell off my seat. He was holding the wood at its far edge and chiselling straight towards his wrist! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

What kind of example is that? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Most sparks I've ever worked with snip the grey outer and then pull the earth wire up with the cutters to split the grey plastic as far as they want.

This cable stripping technique didn't happen to be in London did it at OLCI?

My instructor did exactly same thing :eek: . It turns out he's been an academic only and never practiced in the 'real' workplace for 16 years.

To re-iterate others. use earth wire like a cheese cutter, cut off excess with side cutters and use wire strippers for p + n conductors.

If this is the same person then wait until he shows you bending metal conduit. Using a spirit level whilst bender is on unlevel floor - result 86 degrees bend everytime - Genius :D

Quite often I do it the way described by spacecat (though sometimes I don't score where I want to stop and just clip it away if I'm feeling lazy!)

I also do it using the cpc as a 'cheese wire' from time to time

You are not supposed to use the earth wire to strip 6242Y cable.

The best method is as spacecat describes.

You are not supposed to use the earth wire to strip 6242Y cable.

Although that's the way that C+G taught it for years (at our local college anyway)

This method is also in C & G approved books.

Out of interest what is wrong with 'cheese cutting'. I can't imagine it puts too much stress on the CPC does it?

Some say it stretches the cpc thus reducing its csa, but I would say the insulation on the cable would have to be pretty stubborn to acheive this.

I was taught at college that is can stretch the CPC reducing its CSA.

I personally have been using a knife for so long, I find it much easier.

No more sidecutters slipping off the CPC and thwacking your knuckles across a pointy artexed ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back