stripping cable insulation

I to run the knife down along side the earth wire, just leaning the knife inwards towards the earth wire as not to damage the insulation on the adjacent conductor.

One thing, you don't want a sharp knife for this.
When I need a new knife I start by taking the edge off it.
I have been using the Snickers workwear knife for the last 10 years and find them very good, they were £4 but now they are around £7.

I have seen Electricians snap the earth wire when using the cheese wire method, I also think it looks untidy

Sponsored Links
Some say it stretches the cpc thus reducing its csa, but I would say the insulation on the cable would have to be pretty stubborn to acheive this.

I admit to always pulling the cpc with a pair of sidecutters along the outer insulation.
You can always guarantee one thing - the cpc is always longer than the phase and neutral when placed back alongside them. This must be down to stretching the copper.

I use a stanley knife that has a retracting blade

With the blade protruding about 0.5mm I score the out sheath down the centre line then use cheese wire method.

Like Space Cat, RF Lighting, and Steve3948, I always use a knife - one of these as it happens:

imageview.php

Sponsored Links
Exercise care and score with a blade. I use a stanley and the only risk so far is nicking the inner sheath.

The instructor was teaching you about electrics - far more dangerous than cutting your thumb no?

It's very hard to cut your thumb if you roll the wire around between the blade and thumb - there's a wire in the way!

'The instructor was teaching you about electrics -far more dangerous than cutting your thumb no ?'

Clearly ! :rolleyes:
However my post was to see what other peoples methods of stripping cable were, and it seems that I'm not alone in prefering to use the correct tool.

Some say it stretches the cpc thus reducing its csa, but I would say the insulation on the cable would have to be pretty stubborn to acheive this.

I admit to always pulling the cpc with a pair of sidecutters along the outer insulation.
You can always guarantee one thing - the cpc is always longer than the phase and neutral when placed back alongside them. This must be down to stretching the copper.

Pulling it longitudinaly through the insulation more like - I bet 'tis shorter at the other end... need a fair old pull to neck the copper.
:D

I use to do the 'pull the cpc' method but recently bought a wire stripper that is brilliant :

Kamasa%20Auto%20Stripper%20And%20Crimper.jpg

T&E I usually just cut down the middle with a knife.

what I find a PITA though is round flex, the conductors tend to twist inside and the inner insulation and outer insulation are virtually identical in hardness, I find this makes it very difficul to get the outer sheath off without damaging the innner. Any tips?

1.5mm XPLE SWA is even worse, the plastic is almost as tough as the cores.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back