Stripping out Solar system...

D

D.I.Y-SI

Hi all, Just had a new combi boiler fitted and need to remove old solar system. Had hoped i could just drain down and dismantle but in the loft where the pump and expansion vessle are located there seems to be some sort of liquid in the system. If i undo all the pipes up there will there be much of this liquid to come out? It looks like a very thin oil yellow in colour(anti freeze may be?). The system has an open vented tank with an Evacuated tube panel and pump. There are two pipes going from the panel to the cylinder tank in kitchen. Do these carry water or heated fluid from the panel to the tank and heat the water that way? Sorry for my ignorants but need the system removing asap.
Thanks for any help!!

Sponsored Links
Depending on the individual layout - expect around 20 litres of polypropelene glycol you need to contian this in seal containers and take to a recylcing centre it cannot be put down the drain!! - it is possible to connect solar hot water systems to combi boilers - if you wish to consider this your installer shoud get advice form the combi boiler manufacturer. ;)

Depending on the individual layout - expect around 20 litres of polypropelene glycol you need to contian this in seal containers and take to a recylcing centre it cannot be put down the drain!! - it is possible to connect solar hot water systems to combi boilers - if you wish to consider this your installer shoud get advice form the combi boiler manufacturer. ;)

Hello Boilerman, Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me where the fluid is exactly? is it contained in the solar panel or does it get pumped to the hot water cylinder in the kitchen? Where do I drain it from? I've exhausted the internet and come up with nothing so hope you can assist me further.
Many thanks!

Id do as boilerman says and use your expensive solar system with your combi.

Sponsored Links
Id do as boilerman says and use your expensive solar system with your combi.

Hi, We know it's expensive but it's just not needed. It's quite old and the tank is installed in the kitchen where the space is needed. Also it's quite involved getting it to run concurrently with the boiler so it's got to be sold. Final question then i should be ok- If I drain the fluid out are the evacuated tubes ok to be left on the roof for a while or will they explode! ?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back