Stripping paint off sash windows: fast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I spent 14 hours one day last week using nitromoors and various chisels wire wool and sandpaper on the smallest sash window in my house in attempt to bring them back to their former glory. It was back braking work, someone told me about a method called dipping where people can get things dipped in a paint stripper and it is very quick.

Is this a myth as he was a bit hazey about the details or does such a thing really exist, and if so is it possible with glazed units such as sash windows?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes it exists - but not sure about the wisdom of using it on windows due to them being a bit delicate.

do not under any circumstances have them dipped
not only do you stand the chance the acid will loosen the glue
you will have to wait 3 or 4 weeks before you can paint the sashes :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ah! Thanks for the advice, I guess it's a case of nothing good comes easy. Ugh!!!

Sponsored Links
Personally i'd use a hot air gun to strip the paint. Much faster than paint stripper as long as you protect the glass from the heat of the gun or are very careful which direction you blow the hot air at the window around the glass. If you can remove the glass then all the better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back