Strong Gas Smell after new Gas Work on Boiler HELP Please!

Sponsored Links
The leaks were of some of his and some of another fitter he brought (who could smell when he purged he system at reconnection.

:eek: How many leaks were there ? I would seriously get another RGI (one who comes recommended) and trace the leak and fix it once and for all.

WOW !!!!!!!!

Never heard anything like it,gas fitter :oops: ? staying the night at custards house absolutely BIZZARE !!!!!!

is this a wnd up? he stays the night rather than cap the supply, it is leaking and a smell is there so he isnt allowed to leave it on whether he was there all night or not, and then he gets it DOWN TO 3,5mb and leaves it NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO i have a sore head reading this
if its a wind up you got me, if it isnt then get a REAL RGI NOW

Sponsored Links
If he is on site and in control of the sit he does not need to cap it off.

Amusing though!

Tony

a gas fitter staying over night that has no sense of smell in case you have a leak, you couldent make it up :unsure:

did the installer not carry out a tightness test prior to working on the gas pipe? If there was a drop this would warrent investigation smell or not. I know reg's say 4mb with no smell of gas. Could isolate appliance's and test again. I have found many leaks that customers have not smelt. I have found a few in fire opening's but draw of flue was lifting the smell away.

Thanks for all the comments. (like you I would not believe it had I not witnessed it) Our decorator who was here at the time couldn't believe it either.

This is a genuine thread with a genuine sequence of events.

In answer to some of the questions.

He mentioned to me, when he detected the leak, that before he started work on connecting the new gas pipe that there was a 4mb dropover two minutes and that could be down to the hob or something else and was withing acceptable norms, He had not done any work on the old systems. He then fitted the new pipe and following the 1st posted sequence of events we suspected the boiler.

After the chase around it was resolved.

No it is not a joke about him stying over and his reasoning was he could and would not leave the gas supply uncapped if he went home for the night. I am not sure of the regs but I think he is obliged to do that. I asked can he not turn off the gas and when he comoes back in the am turn it on and I wouldn't touch it. He was not comfortable with that. I then asked my wife if she was allright with it. SHe wasn't but I could see his logic and the practical solutions.

It was odd but hey ho.

We got him off the Gas Safe web site.

Maybe I should get another person to inspect the install.

The sniffer went mad at two joints and less mad on one. The were all close together under the boiler.

He re-made the whole section with two solder and one compression.

There is no smell of gas and I went round with the sniffer myself and checked all the joints that I could see. There are still some under the floorboards and I think I should get him back with the sniffer and double check those.

Not sure how to deal with the 3.5 from the old system. The only thing we use on that is the Hob and a fire that is isolated at the mo as we haven't checked it and it will be replaced.

Cannot replace that pipe as it is under uncrete and a wooden floor. Circa 1950's
was

bovine pooh thread :LOL:

I wish!!! I honeslty wouldn't waste my time on this thread if it wasn't true. The reason for the original post was we suspected the issues was with the boiler, hence the photo

After the chase around it was resolved.

Not sure how to deal with the 3.5 from the old system. The only thing we use on that is the Hob and a fire that is isolated at the mo as we haven't checked it and it will be replaced.

Cannot replace that pipe as it is under uncrete and a wooden floor. Circa 1950's
]

sorry to go on about this, Ian, but it is REALLY odd that he is so "conscientious" that he goes home for his sleeping bag to avoid capping off the meter, and yet he ignores the fact that he CANNOT leave the 3.5mb leak. He has no powers of discretion over this, and, maybe annoyingly for you, neither have you. He is leaving himself wide open to investigation by documenting and leaving the leak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back