structural Engineer woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,i called in a SE to produce plans & drawings so I can get some previous structural works done before I purchased this place (23 years ago) regurlised and a building (council) certificate issued.
My preferred builder wanted an independent SE to prepare the necessary plans paperwork so I got local SE whom I was hoping he was familiar with the way these houses were build.
SE done paperwork and now my builder says they are wrong and if he was to do the works approved by the SE the roof will sag and not gain buildings regulations sign off.
The SE will not budge and says contact your council,i find this rather disappointing as his fees (not cheap !)and plans should include everything to gain council building sign off.
It looks like the SE has forgotten to mention a serious structural supporting detail.

The SE will not budge on his calculations and my trusted builder cannot start works.

So what do I do,i have paid the SE a lot of money already but not the final payment.

I just want to know where I stand,thank you all,again.

Sponsored Links
I've read that 3 or 4 times, and I still can't work out if you engaged the SE to do drawings and calculations for what is already there (and has been there for 23 years) so that you could apply for regularisation (WHY??) and he has not drawn what's there and/or has done calculations which show that the 23-year old work will fall down

or

if you engaged him to do drawings and calculations for some new work, in which case what's the work done before you bought the place got to do with it?

[EDIT]Typos corrected[/EDIT]

What do you mean by; "the SE will not budge". Is he saying his calculations and design are correct. Or does he acknowledge there is a problem but is refusing to put it right?

Sponsored Links
Hi,SE is saying his drawings/calculations are correct and not willing to budge and had invoiced me for £1750.00

There are 2 existing rsj's in situ for 23 years plus supporting the roof I believe these were fitted as there was previous rot in the timbers and concrete tiles fitted in lieu of slate. Not on concrete/stone support, just in existing brickwork at an angle.

I want to get the work done asap but I want it done correctly to pass council regs etc. council of little help so far.
2 local builders have asked for me to provide SE calcs which I am doing my best.
Thanks for help so far,Ta ban shed.

I want to get the work done asap but I want it done correctly to pass council regs etc.
I still don't see why you need any retrospective calculations or drawings or Building Control sign-off for what's already there.

Hi,SE is saying his drawings/calculations are correct and not willing to budge and had invoiced me for £1750.00

There are 2 existing rsj's in situ for 23 years plus supporting the roof I believe these were fitted as there was previous rot in the timbers and concrete tiles fitted in lieu of slate. Not on concrete/stone support, just in existing brickwork at an angle.

I want to get the work done asap but I want it done correctly to pass council regs etc. council of little help so far.
2 local builders have asked for me to provide SE calcs which I am doing my best.
Thanks for help so far,Ta ban shed.
In that case I would refer you to nosealls point; are they in a position to query SE?

@OP, can you provide any pics of this? Strange that builders say it can't be done to the SE's spec.

Its very simple.
Employ a different SE.

A few years ago our SE was happy to sign off roofing structural steel mounted directly on top of poured concrete walls.
Now because a few roofs in Scotland fell in because of snow last year he is insisting the rsj is bolted to the foundation on the outside of the concrete wall.

He seems to calculate all roofs now for heavy cement fibre sheeting.
Which is at least 10 times heavier than corrugated tin. :rolleyes:
OOH and of course about 3 feet of snow!

One client were working with commented "its OK for him as he's not signing the cheque for the extra steel"
I nodded in agreement.
Everyone thinks farmers evolved from being big dumb farm boys to even bigger and dumber farmers.
He who pays the piper calls the tune. End off..

90% of what SE's learn and know comes from the welly boot workers like Islmabard Brunel Kingdom.
OP, definitely trust your builder.

Hi all and thanks for taking time to reply.

I was thinking :confused:

Does a SE have to be a member of a professional orgasination ie gas people are gasafe and electricians are Nic.

How can I find out if the SE I paid is registered to carry out that work.

Is there a redress company or ombudsman service,where I could take my complaint.

PS I need the missing drawings as these need to be sent to the council.
Many thanks.(again).

Does a SE have to be a member of a professional orgasination ie gas people are gasafe and electricians are Nic.

A structural engineer does not have to be registered with any official body to carry out design work.

Unlike 'architect', 'engineer' or 'structural engineer' is/are not protected definitions.

Hi just to add,i have only paid a deposit of £250.00 so not the final payment although the final payment is now due as he says his contract is now complete following the delivery of his drawings.

I am now in deadlock with the first SE.

I have arranged for another SE to check original SE plans and to produce plans that will be accepted by the council.

Sorry I have photos and original SE plans but I will not post,just to respect the original SE and it could be a court case :D .

There is no written down contract with the original SE just a spoken arrangement.

So I will update you all when I have more information and thank you all for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back