structural Engineer woes

Sponsored Links
Don't pay the balance until your local planning office has checked and agreed with his calculations. If he thinks he's right then he's got nothing to worry about.. seems very expensive for calcs and drawings!!! :eek:

Don't pay the balance until your local planning office has checked and agreed with his calculations. If he thinks he's right then he's got nothing to worry about.. seems very expensive for calcs and drawings!!! :eek:

The local council is not the be-all-and-end-all in checking calcs; they can and do make mistakes.
And sometimes these matters are not an exact science, and opinion and judgement come into it.
I would not agree to wait for a council to check and confirm my calcs before requiring payment.

But it is BC who will sign off any work, so surely they should be the point of clarification. if they sign it off. they're agreeing to it being acceptable. I'm not doupting builders experience. but thats BC's job isnt it.thats what fees are paid for. :confused:Also in this case the SE seems to be a little obstructive, so i'm suggesting it as a way of resolving it.

Sponsored Links
Isn't this all a bit premature. I'm still not getting how the builder is qualified to question the SE. I'm not saying builders shouldn't raise queries in general - indeed they should if they think something may be incorrect - but they've done that, you've checked with the SE and he says it's all OK. So now it's builder or SE. Why would you think the builder is better qualified. Have they carried out calculations to back up their assertion that the design is incorrect. Or is it just a hunch? There must be something more leading you this way but you're not saying what it is.

"I'm still not getting how the builder is qualified to question the SE"

It's called experience.
SE's make some real over engineered/under engineered monumental cok ups.

SE's designed this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-zczJXSxnw
:LOL:
Ever seen an 8' deep girder bend like rubber?
Now you have! :mrgreen:

Here's a question for the SE;s on here....
If you pour 20 cubic meters of wet concrete (about S3 slump) into a 13.3m long x 3.6m high retaining wall in less than 50 minutes and the wall is tapered 240mm narrower at the top, will the force drive the Peri formwork upwards releasing the concrete?

Hi all.

Thank you for your time to respond.

Just to inform you knowledgeable people with a small addition of the information I have supplied previous.

The missing drawing should how an existing rsj should be supported as present its supported on the wall that was built same time as the house approx 70 years ago so no lintel or stone mentioned under the area to be supported also its at an angle of 45 degrees so the rsj/steel is at 45 degrees to the original brick wall.

Once again thank you.

The missing drawing should how an existing rsj should be supported as present its supported on the wall that was built same time as the house approx 70 years ago so no lintel or stone mentioned under the area to be supported also its at an angle of 45 degrees so the rsj/steel is at 45 degrees to the original brick wall.

This is still a little confusing. Can you post a pic of what is going on?

It's called experience.
Yes I agree, but you're leaving the crucial bit out of my post. I have no problem with a builder querying something. But when that query is checked by the SE and the SE confirms the design is correct, what, at that point, is leading everyone to think the SE must be wrong and not the builder? I'm not saying an SE can't be wrong. I've come across plenty of them myself. But once an issue had been raised it would be a pretty stupid SE that allowed a major error run without being 100% sure. So something's still not right here. How does the builder justify his comments. Did he carry out calculations or is this a hunch?

Just found out he is is an ex HIP homeinfo pack provider and still using his ex company to draw cad plans on their pc.

I am happy to provide a more info but I want to get the plans done on Tuesday by another person,i have explained my woes with this new professional person and he is happy to proceed.

so thank you all for taking the time to reply,i will keep you updated here.

I do not know if I am able to list legal decisions here but I have been minded to let the original SE dig an even bigger hole underneath himself.

Once I have a decision I will post here and name and shame.

Thank you all.

So he has free cad software not licensed in his name and then tries to shaft you for the design.
Sounds like a real cowboy!

I wouldn't post his name on here. Just seems wrong regardless of where he ties or waters his horse.

It's called experience.

SE's designed this...

Here's a question for the SE;s on here....
If you pour 20 cubic meters of wet concrete (about S3 slump) into a 13.3m long x 3.6m high retaining wall in less than 50 minutes and the wall is tapered 240mm narrower at the top, will the force drive the Peri formwork upwards releasing the concrete?

That's a cool video :)

SE's designed this...

The failure of that bridge provided valuable information for future designers.

Also, it's only when a few structures collapse that SEs know they are approximately correct in the majority of designs. If nothing ever collapsed, we would have no clue as to whether designs were economic or wasteful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back