Stuart Turner Monsoon pump problem...comes on itself !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, probably a simple fix. Am talking about a Stuart Turner Monsoon single universal fitted to the domestic hot.
Works fine but, always a but!!, it starts up itself for just a couple of seconds 2 or 3 times an hour!! Any ideas out there??
Cheers for any help and a big raspberry for any smart talk.

Sponsored Links
Check the pressure vessel Schrader valve for pressure may of lost pressure.

Sponsored Links
The vessel is there to aid starting and take up expansion/contraction with the system. A flat vessel will not cause the pump to start multiple times. Check the vesel pressure by all means, as the manual for the pump states these should be checked periodicaly. Power off to pump, water into pump off, outlet open (and leave open) then check vessel pressure. Pressure will differ depending on pump size, check manual. then reverse above

Get yourself a cup of tea and a news paper, run a outlet connected to the pump and then close the outlet. When the pump comes to a natural stop close the isolation valve in the OUTLET hose of the pump. Read paper drink tea. If the pump still cycles on off it will be the NRV leaking backwards. (replace it) if stays stoped you have a system leak of some sort. (dripping tap, internal mixer issue etc.) find it and repair/mend it.

Keep us posted

Topman Pumpman......that all sounds logical....will go along with what you suggest. Will The Sun do or does it have to be The times with maybe a cup of Earl Grey.

Cheers :LOL: :LOL: :) :LOL:

Good clear advice there!

I would prefer the Times if they had a page 3 !

Ummmmmmm.......yes Lastmuffin......see where your coming from......a non return valve on the flow a dam sight cheaper than a non return valve replacement from Stuart Turner at £30. Thanks

Better to fit on at the inlet if you want it to be of any use!

That's only if the pump NRV is leaking!

Tony

Hi Agile.....Appreciate your advice but am a tad confused. The in built NRV is on the outlet so my guess would have been that an inline NRV would also have been on the outlet :(

I would expect it will need to be on the supply side of the pressure switch and built in NRV if you want it to make up for a leaking built in NRV.

In saying this I am assuming its a pressure switch as PM6 implies ( rather than a flow switch ).

I came across this a while ago.....checked nrv's etc.....turned out that there was a dead leg in the system that air had built up in, this was causing a ricochet which was switching the pump. Worth a look, simple things first and all that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back