stuck power driver bit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've managed to get a screw bit stuck in my power driver. Have tried removing the outer chuck and springs and pulling out with pliers, but to no avail. Any ideas on how to remove it?
tempImageMLRkRt.jpg

Sponsored Links
Give it a few taps with a hammer inwards, then sideways.

doesn't budge and can hardly grip it. wondered if i try heating up the outside part.

Grip the bit and run the driver in reverse? Why can't you grip it? Pliers comes with non-flat part for gripping rod shaped things. Or, grip it with a bench vise.

Sponsored Links
Tried that and it doesn't move at all. I can grip it just not that well as the only protruding point is the slope

Put a large screw on it and grip the screw maybe? If the screw can be bent, it will give you an allen key.

Which direction was it turning prior to jamming in? Try holding the bit in a vice or simlar and getting the driver to turn in the opposite direction.

Pair of mole grips around the chuck body and a pair of pipe grips or mole grips on the bit, (there seems to a bit of a flat edge next to the chuck).
Gently waggling back and forth, even it it doesn't feel as though it's moving, should eventually slacken it. Take your time and don't try to rush it. You will probably find, when it comes out, that the body of the bit has twisted, and this is what's causing it to jam.
Patience is the key.

just a thought
going by the fact that bit looks well hammered and should have been thrown away when it had done perhaps a quarter off the work it has done
i wonder iff the [i assume ]ballbearing holding it in has become worn in rusted in it will be a bu66er to get out
i wonder if that[i assume spring wire] can be eased out to free up the ball ??
is there a visible hole round anywhere the black wire ring goes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back