Stuck stop cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I turned the stopcocks off in the loft yesterday, when I turned them back on the cold water in one of the bathrooms is hardly running. It used to have great pressure like the other bathroom, next door, does. If I open the tap in comes out at normal force and dwindles to a trickle.

I've got normal stopcocks - not the red headed gate sort. The bathrooms are on seperate stopcocks. I've tried turning this one on and off a couple of times but it doesn't seem to help. I did drain the tank so it could be air.

Any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
Could indeed be air But stopcocks shouldn`t have been fitted :cry: because if you try and backfeed mains water through the offending pipe - chances are the jumper in the stoptap will act as a non return valve and thwart your efforts - you might be able to blow through the pipework with the mains fed hose from under the water in the tank ( following the natural flow of water and lifting the jumper) But I personally would cut out those stopcocks and fit lever ( ball shutoff ) valves :idea:

Sounds like an air lock to me.
Use a wet/dry vacuum on one of the cold taps with the others closed.
There are other methods but I have found this to be the quickest.
Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back